AT&T iPhone 4 unlock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by martiansoldier, Oct 15, 2011.

1. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

With all the talk about unsubsidized iPhone 4s' being unlocked via iTunes, I decided to call AT&T one more time and request them to unlock my iPhone 4. For the first time I heard a different response from the AT&T CS rep today. Instead of the usual BS that AT&T will not unlock iPhones period, I was told that AT&T did not have the means to unlock iPhones and that I would have to be transferred to Apple's CS to request my phone to be unlocked. I thanked her and requested to be transferred to Apple's CS but I wasn't surprised that they were closed at 11:55 PM CDT.

I'm going to try requesting Apple for the unlock tomorrow but I'm not sure if this is a sign that things may have changed at AT&T regarding unlocking iPhones or if they have just come up with a new reason to stave off customers that are requesting iPhone unlocks.

2. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

3. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

4. martiansoldier thread starter macrumors 6502

After 2 failed calls with over 30 minutes on hold on each of those, I finally got through to an apple car rep on the 3rd call and another 20 minutes on hold.

I told the guy I needed my phone unlocked for use with a different carrier and the dumb SOB asked me if I forgot my password! He went on and on with the protection plan and I told him I was willing to pay the $69.00 if he can guarantee that he (Apple) could unlock my phone for use with other GSM carriers and then after putting me on hold for a few more minutes he asked me to go to an AT&T store to get my phone unlocked.

At the end of the day, it is just AT&T & Apple playing hardball with the customer by asking to customer to talk to the other guy. At the moment it sure doesn't seem any better for official unlocks from AT&T/Apple than it has been over the past 4 years.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

it sounds promising, but it wouldn't surprise me if they are going to start doing unlocks that it hasn't really gotten out to all of the Customer service agents. Especially if Verizon and Sprint unlock the 4S then I would expect AT&T to start doing it soon.

7. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

When I got my iPhone 4 last year I was not up for an upgrade with AT&T, so I paid full price for my iPhone 4 32GB which was $700. I'm hoping that because I did pay full price that I can now get it unlocked. After all it is only fair since a contract free 4S comes unlocked. However, I changed to Verizon with my 4S, so I'm wondering what AT&T will tell me since I'm no longer a customer of theirs. I'll post a reply once I get some answers from Apple or AT&T.

8. pittpanthersfan macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

I wish I shared your optimism. :mad:

9. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

+1 but I am not holding my breath!

10. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Well I just got off the phone with AT&T customer support. The girl I was talking to asked for my IMEI and I read it off to her. After a few minutes of her fumbling with their system she informed me that my iPhone 4 cannot be unlocked because the system said it was ineligible to be unlocked. When I asked if she could provide more information as to why this was the case she said the system did not give her any more information than that. This is bull, I paid for my iPhone 4 in full when I purchased it and am not currently under contract with AT&T. If a contract free iPhone 4S comes unlocked then I should be able to get my iPhone 4 unlocked. I'm not going to let this end here, I imagine if you make enough of a fuss in person at one of their stores they would do it for you.