AT&T iPhone 4 upgrade question... Hopefully someone knows

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tangledweb16, Jun 27, 2010.

1. tangledweb16 macrumors regular

tangledweb16

Ok, so I'm camping out to get my iPhone 4 on Tuesday, and I was wondering if, since I'm not the primary account holder at AT&T, can I buy the phone by myself, or do I need to bring the primary AT&T account holder? If anyone knows it'd be greatly appreciated. Currently my iPhone 3G is on a family plan. Thanks to anyone who might know.

2. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

Okay, everyone's answer may be different, but I got my iPhone 4 with an authorized user(not the primary user) and the Social security number of the primary user.

3. creeman macrumors 6502

Yeah, you can do that. You either have to be an authorized user or the account holder has to be there with you. Those are the only two ways they will sell you the phone (Well, the only two ways that are SUPPOSE to sell you the phone...)

4. bigkito macrumors regular

U gotta be an authorized user, and know the last 4 digits of the actual account holders social

5. hipvamore macrumors regular

just add yourself as an authorized user. takes two seconds. just find out the last four digits of the social and call att. you can pretend youre the primary and add yourself

6. mhalpin macrumors newbie

Use wifes upgrade?

I am in the same situation with a twist.

My wife is the account owner, I am setup as an authorized user BUT she is the one eligible for the upgrade and I want to use her upgrade to get myself the phone. Is it possible for me to just go in or does she have to be there?

7. dborja macrumors 6502a

+1

8. Basement06 macrumors newbie

mhalpin, you should have no problem buying it as long as you have the primary account holder's info (ie. your wife). Just tell them you're surprising her with it so you don't want to activate in-store and would prefer to do it at home.

People do this fairly often and upgrade their own phone using another authorized/primary user's upgrade eligibility.

9. mhalpin macrumors newbie

I called AT&T they said my wife doesn't need to come but I would need her phone so.... she is showing up at 7 AM when the doors open and giving me her phone and waiting outside in the car.

Driving by the closest 2 stores to me tonight around 11, debating just getting in line then, or waiting until like 3-4AM

10. dave006 Contributor

dave006

11. dave006 Contributor

dave006

While they don't really need her phone, it is the easiest way to complete the rep to perfomr "Upgrade Swap" and get opportunity credit.

The rep will activiate the new iPhone 4 on her line, this will kill her current SIM. Next they will pop a new Mini SIM into her phone and activate the SIM. Your wife is now all set. Just check to see that she has the proper data / txt plan for her phone. Just a warning with this method. Your wife will have her voicemail reset and lose any custom greeting or saved messages.

Next the rep will put a new Micro SIM in the iPhone 4 and activate it on your line.

Just a reminder that none of these steps are needed, it is just easier for the rep. The correct steps can be found at this link http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/articles-resources/iphone4upgradesupport.jsp

The RSC can just put the IMEI and the ICCID on your line and activate using itunes. This will not touch your wife's SIM, Phone, Line, or features.

Dave