AT&T iPhone 4 + Verizon iPad 2

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jedivulcan, Apr 16, 2011.

1. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

I already have a mid-2009 13" and 15" MBP and an iPhone 4 GSM and was considering handing off my 13" MBP to my sister and moving to an iPad and more mobile devices.

I have no idea why but Verizon iPads don't seem to be moving much in my area of Georgia (no idea why). I have the option of going out and getting a black 16gb, 32gb, or 64gb at my local PeachMac the last I checked availability a few hours ago. I checked yesterday too. They're either getting a ton of Verizon models or they aren't moving them.

Anyways... I kind of considered the Verizon iPad as an opportunity for the best of both worlds. iPhone 4 with AT&T bands while having the option to use Verizon 3G whenever I need it. Anyone else done this?

2. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

I almost did, but then I considered the reports that GSM is much faster/snappier than CDMA in real world tests.

I cant imagine a scenario where I will be somewhere that I actually need to use gsm drastically and be in such a type of rare place where Verizon gets 3G and AT%T doesnt. Im talking Verizon getting 3G, not just reception. The legendary coverage is great for phones but with 3G there probably isnt a clear advantage (ie. if AT%T has no reception at the lake, but Verizon does, its still probably just phone reception with zero 3G either way for Verizon and AT%T

And if I was at the hypothetical lake I'd probably be having fun not busy web browsing. If anything, id play something offline and enjoy iPod.

So this scenaro is a lot more rare than it might seem, but what is not rare is that speed advantage of ATT 3G. I would benefit from that advantage daily.

3. njaremka macrumors 6502

if you have a tethering plan on your att iphone, save the money and get a wifi ipad, instead of a 3g version.