AT&T iPhone 4S "device only" comes unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alphaod, Oct 14, 2011.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So I waited in line this morning and picked up a white AT&T iPhone 4S at the Apple Store.

I wasn't upgrade eligible, so I figured I'd just buy it "device only" without a contract. I had to sign a little notice on the payment unit that said the phone would only work with AT&T and whatnot. So I was paying $850 plus tax for essentially a locked device ($1015 with tax and AppleCare+ for me).

Well I just got home, put in my AT&T SIM card to activate in the device and to my surprise. It gave me this screen:
    [​IMG]

Just so it wasn't a trick, I put a prepaid T-Mobile SIM that was lying around in the device… well it works and I can make calls, etc.; then I took out the prepaid China Unicom SIM I use when I travel to China… well that works too! (for the latter it says I'm roaming on AT&T)

So yeah I figured I'd let people know this might be the way to go if you want an unlocked iPhone 4S today instead of waiting until November.

I see a lot of threads on how the Verizon and Sprint models may be unlocked as well, but some post also say how only select SIM cards work. I did recall reading Sprint said they would lock the SIM card slot in a later configuration update.

2. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

You may be seeing a side effect of AT&Ts activation sever overload.... Try your China Unicom SIM again next week and just leave it in your phone for a couple of hours.

My daughter put her Digi SIM in her phone and it worked for about an hour then stopped. Only her AT&T SIM works now.

-t

3. alphaod, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011

alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't know… if that's really the case I'll just go back the Apple Store in a month and do a nice little exchange.

EDIT:

Well I've had my China Unicom SIM in my iPhone for last 2 hours or so and it still works fine.

This thing is I never got any errors with activation… it just showed the message immediately when I connected my iPhone to the computer.

4. icanhasiphone? macrumors regular

Are you still stuck on edge with the T-mobile sim??

5. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

The iPhone 4S does not support the 1700MHz AWS band used by T-Mobile for 3G/4G…

Therefore the fastest it can support on T-Mobile US is EDGE.