At&t iPhone 6 bought off contract working with verizon 3G and LTE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rcracerg911, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Rcracerg911, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

Rcracerg911 macrumors member

Can anyone else confirm that iPhone 6 (gsm) has verizon radios. I put a verizon sim into my gsm iPhone 6 for att bought without contract. It was unlocked out of box. I'm getting Verizon's lte and 3G service. Tech specs for gsm unit say it doesn't support CDMA. I'm wondering if unlocked units also unlock CDMA compatibility.

2. HXGuyAZ macrumors 6502

It sounds like you confirmed it yourself...or did you think you got some one off phone? :p

3. Rcracerg911 thread starter macrumors member

I'm thinking one off. Apple clearly states there's no cdma antenna in the gsm models.

4. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Interesting observation: my AT&T iPhone 6 Plus has an MEID. The 6 Plus was purchased via Next so it's locked to AT&T but it does seem as if the CDMA radio is activated. Alas, can't really test it with a Verizon SIM unless I pay off the phone to unlock.

5. Y2JDMBFAN macrumors regular

This worked for me, I put in the iPhone 6 Verizon SIM I got into the iPhone 6+ T-Mobile version I have, and It picked up CDMA 1X and was taking me through the activation process for Verizon

6. alexdell macrumors newbie

Are you able to make phone calls as well? I'm waiting for my AT&T iPhone Plus to arrive (work phone). I'm planning on getting it unlocked and would like to occasionally use the sim card from my personal iPhone 5 from Verizon since it has unlimited data. I'm curious to see if I can receive & place phone calls as well.

7. HXGuyAZ macrumors 6502

Is there even a GSM model and a separate CDMA model? They both have the same model number of A1549 don't they?

8. Rcracerg911 thread starter macrumors member

Yup same model number but apple lists a gsm model then cdma

9. HXGuyAZ macrumors 6502

What's the model number of the AT&T phone if you go to Settings - General - About?

I have a Verizon phone (though I'm using an AT&T SIM) and it says MG632LL/A.

10. Rcracerg911 thread starter macrumors member

Wasn't able to test calling because the verizon sim belongs to my iPad.

----------

Phone model is mg4n2ll/a.