AT&T iPhone 6 on verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by redsoxguy676, Nov 3, 2014.

1. redsoxguy676 macrumors regular

Is there anyway that I could get my iPhone 6 (AT&T) version to work on Verizon's network so I could take advantage of one of these unlimited data plans people have for Verizon?

2. KPOM macrumors G5

Easy. Get it unlocked. The unlocked AT&T iPhone 6 work on Verizon if you have an active SIM. VZW won't activate the phones themselves. They show up as "unknown" on their system. But if you can get a SIM, you can get it working.

3. redsoxguy676 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright if I were to get this phone unlocked, I need a device to get an unlimited data plan, or so I'm told.

So could I get an old iPhone 5 for Verizon and activate it then take the sim from the phone and put it into my 6?

4. KPOM, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014

KPOM macrumors G5

Technically, yes. That's what I did. I purchased a used Verizon 5c without a SIM and went to a VZW store to get a new SIM activated for it and did the swap.

However, if someone sends you an active SIM, you don't need to do that. You can simply put it into your unlocked iPhone 6. It will work fine, but just won't be recognized as an iPhone on Verizon's billing system. You don't need to have a phone with you to complete the assumption of liability. As soon as you accept the terms on the wireless account, and they run a credit check, the line is yours. I just needed an active phone since I didn't get an active SIM and didn't have a way of receiving the text message needed to set up a Verizon online account, which you need for account maintenance.

To clarify, if the owner of the phone where the active SIM came from ever tries to add that phone to a VZW account, that could cause issues. But if they simply SIM swap (i.e. use it with an existing active SIM from another phone), that shouldn't be an issue.