AT&T iPhone 6 Plus Off-Contract Unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iSkythe, Sep 20, 2014.

1. iSkythe macrumors regular

iSkythe

After waiting all night in line for the iPhone 6 Plus, I received the unfortunate news that my Apple Store was not carrying any iPhone 6 Pluses for T-Mobile. I did know that Verizon phones were supposedly unlocked, but they didn't have the color/storage combination I wanted so I decided it wouldn't be worth the risk.

Now, I'm still having trouble finding any stores that even received T-Mobile iPhone 6 Pluses; it seems the Apple Stores just aren't getting any in my area. Anecdotally, I also found out Verizon iPhone 6 (Plus)'s don't work with T-Mobile WiFi calling, so I made the right decision there.

However, I found out supposedly the AT&T devices are also being sold unlocked, as long as they are bought without a contract. Since I cannot find any official T-Mobile versions, I thought this would be worth looking into. So, does anyone know for sure if the AT&T model is unlocked, and if it is, does T-Mobile WiFi calling work on it? If so, I'll just start looking for it instead!

2. libu macrumors member

libu

AT&T iPhone bought 'Device Only' and full-price from APPLE STORES are unlocked, and you can use T-Mobile SIM.

Not sure about the Wi-Fi calling as that's a new feature in iOS 8.

3. erzhik macrumors 6502

Yes, its unlocked but as the other poster said it HAS to be an Apple store because when they ring it up, they enable it. It cannot be an AT&T store!

4. iSkythe thread starter macrumors regular

iSkythe

Well I guess I'll try that then. Anyone know if they ask for an AT&T account?

5. HXGuyAZ macrumors 6502

Why not get a Verizon phone? Its unlocked so that's another option and and you can get one at Best Buy off contract too if they have one.

6. iSkythe thread starter macrumors regular

iSkythe

Probably for the reason listed here ;)

7. lorax3 macrumors regular

lorax3

How do you buy an "ATT Device only?" Don't see the option online.

Why not just buy T-Mobile? Aren't those already unlocked for any GSM carrier?

8. HXGuyAZ macrumors 6502

How did you find out they don't work with wifi calling? I wonder if the Verizon phone will work with AT&T wifi calling when that becomes available.

9. iSkythe thread starter macrumors regular

iSkythe

I want to buy a T-Mobile device...there just aren't any available, like I said :p

It was in a thread here in the forums. People who had bought the Verizon phone found there was no way to enable WiFi calling in the settings.

10. ssgokou29 macrumors newbie

Just wanted to follow up if anyone came across to see if a verizon one can allow tmobile wifi calling.

I have a verizon iphone 6 and it's unlocked (checked with ATT sim), however without the wificalling feature, this phone is useless to me.

Thanks

11. ssgokou29 macrumors newbie

I put in a tmobile sim, and phone said to update carrier settings and :eek:BOOM! wifi calling setting is now listed

12. HXGuyAZ macrumors 6502

FANTASTIC! Good to know and thanks for the update. :)

13. JuNxXxReY macrumors regular

I second that. I own a Verizon iPhone 6 and use a T-Mobile SIM card. Wi-Fi calling works.

14. EridoPravasta macrumors newbie

Hi libu!
    I guess you are from Indonesia. I am new in this forum and I am from Indonesia as well. I've got a question regarding unlocked iphone 6 plus.
    I plan to go to US next week and I plan to buy unlocked iPhone 6 Plus 128 GB space gray. If I want to use it back in Indonesia using Indonesian SIM card such as Telkomsel, should I buy the contract-free Tmobile, verizon, or at&t? I am still not sure whether the contract-free phone is actually unlocked phone that we can use outside of US. Could you answer my question? Terima kasih Libu..

15. HXGuyAZ macrumors 6502

The Verizon phone is considered the "world phone" so I would get that one.

http://www.techwalls.com/differences-between-iphone-6-6-plus-models/

A1549 (CDMA): This is considered as the world phone version. It supports all the same spectrum frequencies as the A1549 (GSM) and also includes CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (with 800, 1700/2100, 1900 and 2100 MHz bands). Besides, it works on UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz), GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz) and 4G LTE bands include bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29. The model is compatible with Verizon and Cricket in the US. However, if you buy an unlocked Verizon phone, you will be able to use it on any other GSM networks like T-Mobile and AT&T as well.

16. libu macrumors member

libu

I can confirm that if you buy any Verizon, AT&T, or T-Mobile from the Apple store full-price (called "Device Only", no contract, no activation in store) they are all unlocked and work with any GSM carrier.

So really, you can pretty much buy any carrier and will work with Telkomsel.

Just don't buy Sprint. Sprint is always locked and can't easily be unlocked.

17. EridoPravasta macrumors newbie

Does it make any difference if i buy the full-price device-only phone online (through apple website) or walk-in to the apple store? Thanks!

18. b1scu1t macrumors regular

I vaguely read somewhere last year that, even though the Verizon phones are unlocked, they are not unlocked for US carriers, just carriers outside this country.

I could be wrong.

19. illutionz macrumors 65816

Does not matter. You can go to Apple Website and order the phone for pick-up at the store. However, the website only has T-Mobile as unlocked device only. The rest all need contract.

20. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Verizon LTE phones are unlocked for all carriers including US. That's part of their agreement with the FCC.

21. mobutt macrumors 6502

Brah I buy them pretty much every year on launch and they're unlocked brah.