AT&T iPhone 6 still financed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by taydui, Oct 20, 2016.

1. taydui macrumors newbie

I just bought an AT&T iPhone 6 plus on Craiglist . The guy said the phone is paid off , when I bought an unlock service to use on Tmobile, they told me the request denied due to a balance on this phone (seller bailed & won't return my texts / calls) . I called At&T to find out how much the seller still owes on it , AT&T won't say because they can not access seller's account. Is there anything I can do at this point ?

2. Superrjamz54 macrumors 6502

Superrjamz54

Not really. Check first before buying an used phone. Especially on Craigslist.

3. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Did you ask the guy when it was paid off? There is nothing you can do really at this time. If I was to buy a phone that was financed and the seller claims it was paid off. I would definitely ask for the receipt or even ask to meet at the Carrier's Corporate store and have the seller confirm that it was paid off before buying the device. But that is just me.

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Big mistake. Your at a dead end in my opinion. If the seller wanted to on top of that, they could potentially report the iPhone as stolen, which would ultimately blacklist from Being enabled. AT&T cannot by law release any information to you due to privacy. Obviously this has been stated, but you should have verified with the Carrier first and the the seller at your local AT&T Store.

5. StarShot macrumors 6502

StarShot

Ever since the iphone 3G, I’ve been upgrading every year. In doing so, I always had another phone that was off cycle in that it was now eligible for a “free” upgrade. And I’ve always been on a 2 year contract.

For example, this year I upgraded from my iP5S. When it came, I trotted down to my ATT store where they swapped the sim card from the new phone which has my secondary number into my new IP7, thus changing the number of the new phone.

At the same time, I sold my previous IP6 S, ever though it still had another year to go on the contract. As I said, I’ve done this with the 3G, 3gS, iP4, iP4S, ip5, ip5S, ip6 and this year, the ip6S. Every one of these phones were sold with a year to go on the contract, using my alternating procedure.

I’ve alway put the phones back to factory setting before selling them with the sim card removed. My new phone is the first one that I’ve paid full price for upfront and thus, unlocked.

None of the previous phones I’ve sold were unlocked and technically had a year to go on the contract. I’ve never heard a peep about the phones I’ve sold so I don’t understand this thread and why the OP is having trouble using the phone he bought from craigslist. Don't know if it makes a difference, but all phones were ATT.

6. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I think the problem is here is that a 2 year contract is different than financing the phone. In OP's case, he purchased a phone that was financed through AT&T Next from a previous seller, which the seller claimed that he finished paying off the device. 2 year contract and AT&T Next is not the same.

7. Jetro macrumors regular

Jetro

You should be able to run it on AT&T or Cricket which is AT&T. Also if you don't want to put it on AT&T there was a service on eBay that let's you pay about $40 and they send you a new iPhone for your bad IMEI one. Your IMEI should still be good but is just locked to AT&T.

8. mademan118 macrumors regular

The difference is you pay full price for your phone when you first acquire the phone it's bought and paid for as they say. The OP bought a phone from someone that had done ATT Next Financing on the phone. The seller of the phone did not pay off the original loan before selling his device to the OP.

It's similar to you selling a car with a loan still attached to it without paying off the car loan.

9. taydui thread starter macrumors newbie

I've just paid $95 for an unlock service on ebay even though if it's still financed. 100% refund if it fails or I have an option to trade with him for an unlocked iphone 6 plus

10. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

Who are you using for the unlock service as I hear it is hit or miss with them?

11. CEmajr macrumors 601

Swiftunlocks has a 100% success service that unlocks financed AT&T iPhones.

12. taydui thread starter macrumors newbie

On ebay , seller name is iphonegenie

13. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

I think that if it unlocked iPhone you can put any sim and the phone will work i use my iPhone unlocked my service is ATT but when i travel oversea I take the ATT sim and put a new sim with Orange and it works no one ask me if i paid or not for the iPhone

14. Brandonjr36 macrumors 6502a

Just sell it to someone that has at&t

15. Sahil9211 macrumors newbie

Sahil9211

Did the unlock work out?I am facing the same thing and i used a seller from EBAY..I am based in India .Any solution for this

16. taydui thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm still waiting for the result (1-7 days process) He only unlocks AT&T iphones though

17. Sahil9211 macrumors newbie

Sahil9211

18. blacksurfer macrumors regular

He might not pay off the phone and it will soon be blacklisted.

19. Jfree3000 macrumors member

Buy on Swappa next time, Craigslist is a scammers paradise dealing with any high end electronics.

20. KillaMac Suspended

Yep. I always go to AT&T and swap phones and you can have it checked right there with the owner of it.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 29, 2016 ---
    If he doesn't pay for that phone any more it will stop working as AT&T will blacklist it.

21. Sahil9211 macrumors newbie

Sahil9211

But i am in India..Do u guys think that i have any options to unlock the phone

22. Sahil9211 macrumors newbie

Sahil9211

23. taydui thread starter macrumors newbie

Say if the phone gets unlocked before being blacklisted by AT&T , can I still use it then ? or it can only be used outside of U.S. ?

24. bluerazr macrumors newbie

a coworker ran into the same issue as well. Craigslist is full of scammers. my coworker used the battery replacement service for $79 and got a refurb replacement iphone that came unlocked. cost him more that way but better than the phone being a paperweight.

25. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Last I checked carriers weren't blacklisting based on non payment. This may have changed but I don't think so. I try to keep myself reasonably within the loop.