AT&T iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Globug, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Globug macrumors 6502

Globug

Does ATT still have that stupid unlock policy? Im still on a contract with ATT and want to get the 6,but i'm living overseas at the moment. My plan is to order it and have my family ship it to me overseas, but to unlock it before they do. Would anyone know if they allow an unlock within a month of purchase if i call and say that 'i'm going traveling'?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I haven't read that they changed their unlock policy. Try giving them a call and see what they say about it.

3. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

If you want it unlocked, and you want it shortly after launch...order it through AT&T NEXT. After it arrives, have your family take it to an AT&T Store and pay off the balance. Once it's paid off, tell AT&T to unlock it.

4. gsusser macrumors regular

What's the difference buying it unlocked from Apple?

Fyi, I just did that, that is, pay off the NEXT balance on my 5s and got it unlocked. The total paid was exactly the same amount as if I bought it unlocked. You can say the advantage of NEXT is that you're getting the same price but in essence are paying it off in interest free installments.

5. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

The difference is Apple typically doesn't sell the unlocked/contract free versions until about 30 days after launch (save T-Mobile). So, if someone really wants an unlocked version, the best course of action is to use NEXT/EDGE and then go into their store after it arrives on launch day and pay it off.

You're right, the price is exactly the same and once it's paid off, the carrier is required to unlock it for you upon request.

6. Globug thread starter macrumors 6502

Globug

we don't have NEXT... i'm still on the old plans that have unlimited internet and all that.

whats the best option for me to get the phone unlocked within a shorter timeframe, say 30 days from launch?