iPhone 7(+) AT&T iPhone 7 On Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Channan, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Before you jump ahead and say it won't work, I already know the Intel modem inside the AT&T model doesn't support CDMA, so that's a no-go on 3G period, but the Intel iPhone 7 still supports all the LTE bands Verizon uses and Verizon does have VoLTE.

So I was just curious if an unlocked AT&T iPhone 7 would work on Verizon's LTE network or not at all, with or without VoLTE. I use Hangouts for all my calls and texts so all I need is data anyway.

2. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

No, it doesn't work. The Intel Model doesn't support just using LTE on Verizon.

3. Channan thread starter macrumors 68030

Channan

Any idea why that is?

4. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Do a search on Reddit or Howardforums. There was a post asking this exact thing a few weeks ago.

5. Channan thread starter macrumors 68030

Channan

I already tried Googling it and narrowed my search down a ton before posting this thread. Couldn't find anything discussing it. But I'll go check Reddit. Thanks.

6. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

7. Channan thread starter macrumors 68030

Channan

I read all the comments in that thread, and it seems like nobody understands why OP is having an issue with data on LTE. There doesn't seem to be any reason why the Intel iPhone 7 can't at least get data on Verizon's LTE network unless either Verizon or Apple is intentionally keeping the iPhone 7 from working on Verizon.

8. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

Call Verizon and ask them. They should be able to tell you wether you can or not.

9. Channan thread starter macrumors 68030

Channan

I would just get some low level rep who probably knows less than I do.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That would be my guess, that verizon/Apple intentionally blocked it so it either fully works or it doesnt at all.
    This way people cannot get partial service like data only on LTE network access but not any cdma connection etc....

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Perhaps because despite LTE the foundation of Verizon voice and even data (when LTE isn't available) is still CDMA and likely until that goes away the only phones that Verizon would allow are those that support CDMA (even if they would just work on LTE on its own).

12. Channan thread starter macrumors 68030

Channan

But there have been other phones that worked on Verizon's LTE network only. Apparently Verizon is not allowed to block them. And Verizon has more LTE coverage than most carriers have total coverage, which should be more than good enough for LTE-only devices. After all, it won't be much longer until Verizon starts selling phones without CDMA at all.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Curious, which other such phones are working like that and how do they work exactly? I believe LTE coverage is certainly quite widespread for Verizon, but VoLTE might not be supported in all of those areas, which I imagine would be needed for voice. Thinking about it some more, perhaps it has something to do with e911 compliance as well, or something similar, as the phone might not be considered as such if it would only function correctly just in LTE areas (and perhaps only in those that support VoLTE)?

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Only real way to tell is stick a verizon sim inside an unlocked AT&T iPhone 7.
    My guess is nothing will happen and it wont connect.

15. Channan thread starter macrumors 68030

Channan

Z3 Compact.

And VoLTE is supported everywhere LTE is available on Verizon.

16. Cardsfan85 macrumors newbie

I remember widespread speculation in tech blogs last year that the HTC One A9 would become the first non-CDMA phone officially supported by Verizon. That never came to fruition. However it does raise an interesting question of at what point will Verizon's VoLTE coverage be widespread enough that it will begin selling and supporting non CDMA phones. The complete sunset of CDMA may still be several years away, but prior to turning off CDMA entirely, there will probably be an earlier point in time where non CDMA phones become supported.

17. Channan thread starter macrumors 68030

Channan

I thought it was supposed to be this year, but maybe it's next year that Verizon will sell its first LTE-only phone.

18. George Knighton macrumors 65816

George Knighton

So, has anybody done this, yet? :)

Can't help being curious.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Me too:)
    Hope someone can test it out for us.

20. Hal~9000, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016

Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Just curious, is VoLTE even able to call people on other networks yet? I thought I remember seeing an article that VoLTE isn't fully interoperable between all carriers atm. Also, what about if you have to call a business or landline?

Edit: Article from Nov, 2016 http://www.businessinsider.com/att-...together-for-high-quality-volte-calls-2016-11

21. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

It has always been able to call other networks. What you are specifically referring to is the use of higher-bitrate codecs (HD Voice) between two different carriers.

It seems to be active in the Northeast. I'm on AT&T. I call people with VZW VoLTE devices and the call quality is like an AT&T-AT&T HD Voice call.

22. George Knighton macrumors 65816

George Knighton

I travel an area around several areas, Baltimore, DC and NoVA, and Richmond.

I can only seem to get a clearly HD Voice call from one fairly new iPhone to another one!
    --- Post Merged, Nov 27, 2016 ---
    Oh, my goodness. LOL....

Is anybody else as old as me and can remember hacking the Motorola StarTAC to force it to deliver higher bitrate voice calls?

:)

23. Channan thread starter macrumors 68030

Channan

I feel like the only way I'm ever going to find out is to wait until late next year when my dad upgrades to the next iPhone and I can get his iPhone 7 unlocked, then put my Verizon SIM card in it.

24. Channan thread starter macrumors 68030

Channan

I feel like it's been enough time that somebody has to have tried it by now?

25. cccjrsbox macrumors newbie

I switched from ATT to Verizon with an iPhone 7. Voice works great, tethering painfully slow - but works. Tried in multiple locations. Other Verizon devices are much faster with tethering in the same locations. Just need this phone until the iPhone X is delivered.