Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fmalloy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
After I bought the AT&T iPhone 6 I found out that it would not be fully usable on Verizon, but if you buy a Verizon 6 it would work on the AT&T network. That sucked.

Is anything any different with the 8? I'm thinking of just ordering the SIM-free carrier unlocked and not have all the hassle...

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
No, it is not universal. If you buy AT&T version, it does NOT have CDMA.
That's why I will order directly from Apple for universal version.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Unfortunately no. AT&T and T-mobile still uses intel modem so these will not work on Verizon and Sprint. This is no different than last year. Sim-free model for the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus is essentially the Verizon/Sprint Model as they have Qualcomm, which works on GSM and CDMA.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
After I bought the AT&T iPhone 6 I found out that it would not be fully usable on Verizon, but if you buy a Verizon 6 it would work on the AT&T network. That sucked.

Is anything any different with the 8? I'm thinking of just ordering the SIM-free carrier unlocked and not have all the hassle...
You're looking for contract less phone, right?

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
I thought the split between models happened with the iphone 7? I sold my wife's iphone 6S and prior 6 to Verizon users (they were previously locked to ATT, until paid off which att then unlocked the phones) as they had all the bands. The iphone 7 was the first to have a neutered ATT/TMO version that used the crappy Intel chip. I'm tempted at getting an unlocked version to guarantee a qualcomm chip. Maybe this gen of Intel cell modems have caught up to Qualcomm? I doubt it though...

Nhott

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2014

I switched my AT&T iPhone 6 to Verizon. Just have to unlock it first.

I have AT&T as my personal cell. At work we were given Verizon phones and when I started there about 6 years ago was given a blackberry. I used it for a day or two before forwarding all calls to my personal phone. Last year my work started giving out 6s phones so I grabbed one, unlocked my AT&T phone, and switched SIM cards. Both phones immediately activated.

fmalloy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
I switched my AT&T iPhone 6 to Verizon. Just have to unlock it first.
Thanks. This whole thing has been really frustrating as I can't get a consistent answer from people. You can see above some folks say it's a no-go.

In one place I heard that the AT&T phone would not be able to use all VZW CDMA bands/frequencies, like 1x wouldn't work but other bands would work, stuff like that...

I found a VZW web page where you enter the IMEI and it says if it's ok on their network...and it said it was.

I just ordered an iPhone 8 - unlocked/SIM-free because I hate all this confusion. I just want to know that when I sell the 6 (it is unlocked) if I can say it works on VZW.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Does anyone know if the sIM unlocked phones, if AT&T will allow them to do WiFi call g or voice over LTE?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.