AT&T iPhone Data Plan required?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by volcomtohawaii, Jul 20, 2009.

1. volcomtohawaii macrumors newbie

volcomtohawaii

Hi all. I'm thinking about moving to AT&T and getting an iPhone. Does AT&T require you to get the data plan along with the talk plan or can you just get the talk plan for the iphone?

I'm thinking about not getting the data plan since I'm at school and home most of the time and I have wi-fi at both locations so I figure I won't be using the data plan enough to justify paying for it. Thanks.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. Motocross250R macrumors member

Yup, Mandatory data plan. Minimum iPhone plan is $69 per month, 450min, no text.

4. Cyclotrode macrumors regular

Cyclotrode

From the AT&T website when ordering an iPhone:

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Mandatory for the 3G and 3GS, not for the 2G.

6. arykmax macrumors regular

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Not since the launch of the 3G.

8. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

No it is not manditory.

You can always buy an iPhone at the apple store for $600 or a 3G for like $250 on eBay. All you have to do is put your sim in it.

However of you want to get the 3GS at the $199/$299 price or the 3G for $99 then yes a data plan is needed.

So no you do not have to have a data plan to have an iPhone on AT&T.

9. arykmax macrumors regular

Where did you get that info? None of their documentation specifies different requirements for different versions. AT&T always has and probably always will require that data package.

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

AT&T scans IMEIs and adds data plans to the 3G and 3GS. You can't get around it.

The 2G does not require data anymore. You could get it removed in the first few MONTHS if you complained. For a long time, it has been possible to simply call AT&T and ask that data be removed from your plan and blocked from your SIM.

11. arykmax macrumors regular

Hmmm...Wasn't aware of this. I switched to the 3g on launch so I guess I stopped listening to 2g news. Oh well. I would always need the data plan anyway.

12. Cescfabregas4 macrumors member

Mandatory on paper yes, but there is a way around it. After the first month I realized I was mostly using wifi. I switched my phone and called ATT and canceled it, then switched back. I was using my iphone 3g without data for 10 months. No problems. I added the data plan back just a few days ago because I am going on a long trip.

13. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Yea there isn't much of a way around it if you don't plan on jailbreaking.

14. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Really?
    I called AT&T and asked them to remove the data plan from my iPhone 2G (This was June 19th, as I was giving my 2G to my mom when I got 3GS, and by removing it from "my" iPhone 2G I meant removing it from my mom's).

I called atleast 3 times. All 3 reps said All iPhone's had to have a mandatory data plan. On the last one, I got tired, and was like "Okay, fine I'll put it in my LG dumbphone" and they cancelled it. Ever since then, I blocked the EDGE notification from BossPrefs (It's jailbroken), and have been living without a data plan.

15. jacobgaul macrumors regular

hmm my internet is $10.00 a month for web data family and they didnt switch it to iphone, im using a 3gs

16. 420-THC macrumors member

I'm interested in how you did that? Because i will be a new AT&T customer soon and would rather have the $10 family then the $30 each.