Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

megamanbnmaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Hey guys, I currently have an AT&T iPhone 2G Edge (no contract) and the iPhone plan as part of a family plan.

As this phone was unlocked and activated legitly, then i got a sim card added to a family plan w/ no contract, I can upgrade to the rumored new iPhone over the summer, if there is one.

However, I live in a really crappy neighborhood for 3G, so I was wondering if its possible to upgrade w/ AT&T to the $30+$5 data plan for 1-2 months, then cancel and go back to my old original iPhone edge + iPhone edge data plan.

So, my question is, after buying a new iPhone, can I say i "sold" it and get my old iPhone edge plan + using my old iPhone edge? I want the new iPhone just for the hardware.

megamanbnmaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
I know that. I'm just wondering if its possible to just keep the phone, get the contract, then go back to using my old phone and old phone data plan.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I dont see why not.
Tell them you lost it or it got damaged and you started using your old iphone 2G.
They'll see it in their system that the sim is in an iphone 2G and should adjust the data plan accordingly.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Hey guys, I currently have an AT&T iPhone 2G Edge (no contract) and the iPhone plan as part of a family plan.

As this phone was unlocked and activated legitly, then i got a sim card added to a family plan w/ no contract, I can upgrade to the rumored new iPhone over the summer, if there is one.

However, I live in a really crappy neighborhood for 3G, so I was wondering if its possible to upgrade w/ AT&T to the $30+$5 data plan for 1-2 months, then cancel and go back to my old original iPhone edge + iPhone edge data plan.

So, my question is, after buying a new iPhone, can I say i "sold" it and get my old iPhone edge plan + using my old iPhone edge? I want the new iPhone just for the hardware.
While your plan will currenty work, AT&T has the right to change your data plan to the correct iPhone data plan if it detects that you are using the wrong data plan.

Your phone transmits it's IMEI every time it connects to the cell network. Try entering your IMEI and see with your phone tells the carrier:

http://www.numberingplans.com/?page=analysis&sub=imeinr :eek:

If you upgrade to a new iPhone and then you decide that you want to switch back to your original iPhone. Just put your SIM into your original iPhone and call Customer Care to have the correct data plan on your line. The rep will ask for the IMEI of your original iPhone to update your account. You do not have to lie since you will have your active SIM in the original iPhone.

If you later switch back to using the iPhone 3G or the new iPhone X this summer, AT&T will know as soon as your phone connects. Currently, they are only sending warning SMS Txt messages about being on the wrong plan.

Dave

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
And yet, whenever I call AT&T, they always have me listed as using the wrong phone. Maybe the customer service line should get hooked in with the billing dept....
No, the rep is just repeating what IMEI is registered on your line. They can also see the current phone that is active on the network. That's why it is silly to make of these stories about a lost phone or that you sold it last week. :eek:

Dave

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I know that. I'm just wondering if its possible to just keep the phone, get the contract, then go back to using my old phone and old phone data plan.
Like others have said, technically, it'll work, but you have no guarantee for how long. Like dave006 says below, AT&T is already sending text messages to people who are doing what you're proposing (warning them that they're not using the correct data plan). AT&T is within their rights to put the correct data plan back on your package, and IIRC, they're starting to do that shortly in some test markets.

If you later switch back to using the iPhone 3G or the new iPhone X this summer, AT&T will know as soon as your phone connects. Currently, they are only sending warning SMS Txt messages about being on the wrong plan.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
No, the rep is just repeating what IMEI is registered on your line. They can also see the current phone that is active on the network. That's why it is silly to make of these stories about a lost phone or that you sold it last week. :eek:

Dave

Then either I get confused reps or their system is all confused. I stopped using an iPhone last October and AT&T sold me a different phone. When I call customer service, they try to get me iPhone support, despite the distinct lack of an iPhone (or an iPhone plan) on my account.

megamanbnmaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Oh well, I guess we'll see. If it doesn't work out, I'll just go back to my old iPhone and sell the new iPhone (if it even gets released this summer).

ec51

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2008
Just give them the IMEI of the 2G, they have no way of "registering" the IMEI that is currently being used. The only way they are tracking 3G users is because of a "3G Tracking" feature that was added to everyone's accounts when you purchased the 3G. There is no way they track our phones, believe me...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.