AT&T iPhone Insurance Plans ... How Do They Work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by falconman515, Nov 20, 2013.

1. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

I currently pay the $6.99 a month and have since I bought my iPhone 5 last year .... I am having an issue with my battery and it Will Not keep a charge. It's like 60 or 80 bucks to get a new battery at the Apple store out of warranty.

SO ... I pay $6.99 for this thing and want to use it since I've pain in like almost $100 towards this insurance so far.

So when I file a claim do they just send me a new phone? do I need to send this one back? I know I have to pay like $199 deductible .... I hope they wouldn't expect my phone back and then me pay a 200 buck charge (I could sell this phone as parts and make at least half that money back I would think).

Anyone use this or know exactly how it works?

Thanks for any info you can provide or let me know if there is a thread that can answer my question here somewhere.

Thanks so much. :)

2. c0LdFire macrumors regular

You're far better off getting a replacement at an Apple store at half the cost and canceling your insurance immediately.

$7/mo x 2yrs = $168
    $168 + $200 deductible = $368

You could buy quite a few batteries for that much. Or a mint condition gently used iPhone 5, for that matter...

But, to answer your question - yes, they'd want your old phone back unless you claim it was stolen. So you'd be paying $200 instead of $80 for no reason.

3. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Sounds like it's gonna be lost! :D

I need a phone (that holds a charge) but can't really take the $80 hit for a phone with a insurance warranty I pay for monthly and still pay 200 bucks for a refurbished iPhone.

Would my phone but shut down and not able to re-activated if reported lost?

I got this plan just in case I "Lose" my iPhone really ... never figured it would have a hardware issue (guess it's possible but I've had many iPhones since day one in 2007 and never had an issue).

What will happen if I report it lost?

4. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I have both insurance (overkill & excessive, I know, but gives me peace of mind). Asurion (6.99/mo) in case my phone gets lost/stolen and AC+ for other stuff. Both insurance allows me to not baby my phone and go case-less.

But, I believe you do have to pay $200 deductible for Asurion (or whatever's the name of your provider). I'd say go to Apple and just the get battery replaced. Turnaround time will be a lot faster with Apple than the alternative since you'd have to deal with shipping. And yes, they will require your old phone.

5. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

So how does this insurance work if your phone is lost?

Kinda wondering the process as that's the one main thing I carry this insurance for.

Do they just send me another?

Does the old phone get bricked somehow or do they make the iPhone not work anymore if someone else has it?

Anyone filed a lost claim with this AT&T insurance plan before?

Thanks for the info.

6. Partridge macrumors 6502

So... Let me get this straight.

You want to claim the damaged phone on AT&T's insurance as lost, then sell the "lost" phone?

7. falconman515, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013

falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Nope not what I was wondering at all.

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

You need to lighten up on the other guy. Everything in your post above hints at fraud, or you don't know what it means when your put bunny ears around a word and a smiley face doesn't erase the intent.

To answer your questions, you signed a piece of paper that describes how it works to you can read that. You may also call AT&T. Or you can keep asking questions from people who did the math and determined AT&T's insurance isn't the best deal out there. But you're a "smart" guy and won't make another expensive mistake. :D

9. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Had bad experience with Asurion 2 years ago with my 3 days old iPhone 4S. Asurion rejected my claim for lost iPhone just because they could not show that I am using 3G network (I was using wifi at home) on my iPhone just before I lost it. I had to pay full price for another iPhone 4S! Last summer someone stole my iPhone with 4G turned on Asurion approved my claim and sent me a replacement for 199.00! My iPad 2 need a replacement due to home button problem and I was told I have until 60 days (at the end of this month) to decide if I need to file a claim or not. :apple:

10. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

If you report the device lost then it may be put on the blacklist where it will not connect to the network. If you file the claim a non-refundable $200 charge will go on your next bill. Also it does sound like you may be committing fraud doing this and they could very well go after you for it. So be smart about it...