at&t iphone mobile hotspot

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apple3g040193, Mar 15, 2011.

1. apple3g040193 macrumors 6502

apple3g040193

If I still have the grandfathered unlimited data plan what is the charge for tethering using the mobile hotspot. Or is it by some miracle free
    Thanks in advance.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its never free, we're in the US your forgot?:D
    And you cannot get official tethering on an unlimited plan.
    You will have to go down to a 2GB plan and lose your unlimited data and pay an extra $20 for 2 more GB's of data.
    So you will have 4GB total per month for $45.

3. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

I just made the switch from a $30/mo unlimited plan to the $45/mo tethering plan with a limit of 4 gb/mo.

I went to the ATT website and checked my data usage. Mostly about 1/2 gig a month. I am also canceling my ipad data plan now. I even connected my Macbook and my ipad at the same time to the iphone. Even in my small town, I was getting over 2 gbit download speed, running speedtest.net at the same time on both devices.

Win.

P.S. If you go over the 4gb/mo limit, they'll ding you $10/gb. Not a big deal for me as my company pays my cell bill as well as my ipad data plan. I just saved them $15/mo. And, while I was there I checked my text msg usage and dropped my $15 plan to a $10 plan. So now I'm saving them $20/mo.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What a nice employee.
    You deserve a raise tell your boss:)

5. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

He just bought me one of the just released 15" MacBook Pros (low end) but bumped me up to the 7200x speed drive as well as the hi rez screen. It'll take a lot of months for that $20/mo to pay this one off! :)

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sweet, you got hooked up nice.

7. apple3g040193 thread starter macrumors 6502

apple3g040193

thanks for the help I hate at&t why cant they just offer an unlimited plan seriously.

8. Weiser878 macrumors regular

Well, even Verizon's unlimited plan doesn't include but 2GB for tethering, and Verizon is dropping unlimited this summer (probably just in time for the new iPhone launch, a la AT&T last year) as well.

Or...You could just jailbreak and use TetherMe or MyWi :cool: