Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DL16

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2010
Hi all,

My wife and I just had our Verizon accounts expire at the end of Feb. We are both veterans to using crappy flip phones and are very ready for a smart phone upgrade. To make a long story short, I decided that it was worth waiting for the next gen iphone, and so we decided to start up service with AT&T on their go-phones.

I live right outside of Philly and so far have been VERY displeased with my AT&T service. My wife and I have both had dropped calls, shady reception, and overall crappy usage of our new phones. I had read a ton about the dropped calls with the iPhone and AT&T, but after talking to friends with iPhones in Philly, decided to look past it and move forward. They had all said that reception was good and life was swell with their phones.

So here is my dilemma. Does AT&T inherently suck where I live? Will the iPhone make things better/worse? Should I go back to Verizon after the 23rd when they start offering the Nexus One? I'm on a month to month plan with AT&T, so that's not completely out of the question.

I know there are a handful of iPhone vs. Nexus One threads around here. I'm not trying to be redundant, but I do want to start up some honest conversation about quality of phone calls. I do not own a landline, and this will be my only tool for making calls.

Ok, that's my rant. Thanks for listening [/blog] :)

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Since the GoPhone suck it is safe to assume that the iPhone is going to suck as well. I honestly would say go with the droid or the Eris. I have a friend who got an Eris and loves it. He got the Eris because he father got the droid and the eris was free (with data plan) and he love it. His father loves the droid and all it can do.

I know several others who have android phones on Verizon and they all love them and think they are great.

best.stock.AAPL

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2010
Since some of the other folks may be tired of this discussion, I'll add what I have found. I have been scouring the web for as much feedback and reviews about the iPhone and Nexus One. Like you, I am going to go with a smart phone this spring or summer. I have to add that there are many many reports of poor phone performance with the iPhone. The people who seem to be the most pleased are the ones who use their phone in a high density high population areas, i.e. major cities. Granted, the ones with the poor performance are going to be the ones who chirp the loudest. Still, it bothers me that so many folks say they love their iPhone but hate the network it is on. This is probably a big enough strike against it for me. However, when Verizon makes the N1 available I am going to get one and I will get an iPhone. I am going to trial them both and return one or both within the return window. If neither suit my purposes of reliable phone call performance, I will stick with my flip phone and buy an iPod touch for access to apps. I need a new music player and a pda so this is why I am on the hunt for a smart phone.

chriszzz

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
Does AT&T inherently suck where I live?

No, it inherently sucks everywhere. Easily the worst aspect of the iPhone.

I have nothing but constant dropped calls and lack of data service with multiple phones, both iPhone and non-iPhone.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I'm not an AT&T defender, but I've never had a dropped call with them. But granted, my city is not as big as NYC, San Francisco, etc.

Raidel

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2009
I've had AT&T for 7 years and I've not had 1 dropped call since I've had my service with AT&T. Can't say the same for T-mobile and Verizon. I tried them both and in my area they would both drop. T-mobile couldn't even hold a signal lol.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Well with T-Mobile I've never had a dropped call either. Perhaps I'm just lucky with my carriers. Alltel, Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T have never dropped my calls. Granted I don't talk on the phone that much, but when I do, no problems. :p

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
You have to go with what works best in your area. If Verizon works well and AT&T doesn't then go with an Android phone from Verizon. That would be my recommendation.

DL16

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2010
Since some of the other folks may be tired of this discussion, I'll add what I have found. I have been scouring the web for as much feedback and reviews about the iPhone and Nexus One. Like you, I am going to go with a smart phone this spring or summer. I have to add that there are many many reports of poor phone performance with the iPhone. The people who seem to be the most pleased are the ones who use their phone in a high density high population areas, i.e. major cities. Granted, the ones with the poor performance are going to be the ones who chirp the loudest. Still, it bothers me that so many folks say they love their iPhone but hate the network it is on. This is probably a big enough strike against it for me. However, when Verizon makes the N1 available I am going to get one and I will get an iPhone. I am going to trial them both and return one or both within the return window. If neither suit my purposes of reliable phone call performance, I will stick with my flip phone and buy an iPod touch for access to apps. I need a new music player and a pda so this is why I am on the hunt for a smart phone.

Haha. Ya, I think it's become an obsession. Fortunately, I discovered this place and apparently everyone here has an obsession between comparing the iPhone and Nexus.

FWIW, this is probably the best comparison I've found between the two:
http://www.macworld.com/article/146...ia_ow=t0:s0:a38:g12:r1:c0.110010:b31861052:z0

cWeems

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2008
FLORIDA, USA
gophone does not get the same coverage/get to use all the same towers as regular accounts... check the coverage maps in your local store. Gophone coverage is much spottier..

icyfire

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
if AT&T really is unbearable where you live, then you need to go back to Verizon. I'm fortunate to live in central/north NJ where AT&T and Verizon coverage is strong so I will probably be switching over to the dark side when the new iPhone comes out this summer (unless it comes out on Verizon of course ;)). Don't put up with the poor AT&T coverage because Apple needs to get their head out of their ass and realize that a good chunk of this country is poorly served by AT&T.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.