AT&T iPhone rejecting AT&T sim card

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iMikeT, Jul 19, 2010.

1. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Well today has been the day from hell regarding my iPhone. So I returned my iPhone 4 back to Apple as I wasn't happy with my particular phone, I'll definitely get one again in the future but perhaps after they're available and the issues have been worked out a bit. Anyway, returning my iPhone 4 has lead me back to downgrading to my original iPhone 2g.

So here's the deal. I went to AT&T and got a replacement sim card so I can reactivate my original iPhone however, my iPhone is now rejecting the sim card pretty much bricking the phone. So I reinstalled the original sim card (the one the iPhone came with) and it comes back to life but I don't get any service because the original sim card has been deactivated. AT&T says they can't reactivate deactivated sim cards and that leads me back to using only the live sim card. But every time I use the live sim card, my iPhone is rejecting it, even after connecting my iPhone to iTunes. At this point, I'm thinking that the only fix is to jailbreak/sim unlock my original iPhone 2g.

Now before I go ahead and unlock my iPhone, does anyone have any other ideas as to what I can possibly do or any idea what's going on?

2. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

Why not go back to AT&T and get another sim card?

3. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the suggestion but I did exactly that 3 times yesterday and I did go to an Apple Store for help. Every new sim card I got from AT&T just bricked my iPhone on the spot. And every time I got a new sim card, I did connect my iPhone to iTunes and got a message along the lines of "the sim card you are using is not from a compatible carrier..."

4. greenday123 macrumors 6502

Does the sim card work in another AT&T phone? Do you have another sim card with a different phone number on it to try in the phone?

5. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

\m/ Green Day owns. That's all.

^From the swapping Sim thread. This sure doesn't look like anything is possible.

You said you returned your iPhone, backed up to your old one, and got a new Sim Card to activate it. Unnecessary. You had an activated Sim - in your new iPhone you returned. Get a Sim adapter off eBay for $1, literally, and pop that one in the old iPhone. Boom. Service.

That's how it worked with me, anyway. Any Sim, activated or not, from AT&T will allow you to activate iPhone. Maybe AT&T is just giving you new Sim cards that don't work in the 3+ year old phone? That would be interesting.

6. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

I got a sim card from ATT yesterday and used it successfully in an original iPhone 2g. I connected to iTunes and then called ATT to make sure my unlimited data plan wouldn't be lost, and she helped me through the iTunes as it threw back a few errors.

But the error was never anything about the sim card.

BTW, ATT told me on the phone that the Apple store would give me the sim card, but they would not. So that added another 1 1/2 to my return process, but at least it worked.