AT&T IPhone Return Policy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by equistroke, Jul 16, 2008.

1. equistroke macrumors newbie

Found this on the AT&T site:

Equipment

If the equipment you purchased does not meet your expectations, simply return it either to a store or by mail within 30 days from the date the equipment was purchased or shipped. (Gift cards, Ring tone cards, and Apple branded equipment are excluded. See below.)

Apple Branded Equipment

All sales of original iPhone and refurbished iPhone after July 1, 2008 are final and cannot be returned for any reason. Original iPhone is covered by Apple warranty. AT&T will not accept returns for items purchased at Apple stores or at Apple.com. iPhone is not eligible for the Wireless Insurance program. Purchase of original iPhone will not impact upgrade eligibility.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/return-policy.jsp

2. mac'inmama macrumors regular

I guess it makes sense because if you have an issue with your phone, you can take it right to Apple and they'll switch it out right there (if they ever have any again). That happened with my first iPhone.

3. sdmiller macrumors newbie

Notice it explicitly says "original iphone" Which makes sense because they don't have anymore.

4. mac'inmama macrumors regular

Maybe they figure there will be some scammers that try to return their "original" iPhone to pay for their new one and keep the change or something.

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

So let me get this straight (and someone, please correct me if I'm wrong; I hope I AM wrong).

If I get the 3G iPhone at an ATT store and something is wrong with it, I can still return the 3G iPhone to the ATT store and exchange it for another 3G iPhone?

If the 3G iPhone isn't covered by their insurance program, is it still covered under Apple's warranty?

And finally, if I want to exchange the iPhone for another of the same kind/size/colour because of there being something wrong with the one I purchased, I'd have to pay for the exchange out of pocket??

Someone, please tell me that I am wrong in this, as it will make me reconsider dropping my FAN discount, purchasing the phone at the Apple store, then re-applying the FAN discount.

BL.

6. sdmiller macrumors newbie

With the iphone 3g you have the normal 30 days that att alots on new phone purchases to exchange. I am exchanging mine as soon as the store gets a 16gb in and the sales guy I am working with said it is not a problem.

That policy the original poster describes is for the old model iPhone. Probably because they have no more stock of it.

7. voxnj macrumors regular

I'm not a lawyer, but the ATT policy strikes me as being at odds with various state laws. In New York and New Jersey (and I assume many others), consumer protection laws require merchants to accept returns of defective merchandise.

Any lawyers care to weigh-in on this?

8. aphexii macrumors 6502

Its a discontinued product, effectively sold AS-IS with a factory warranty. Most of the consumer protection laws you refer to are limited to the sale of cars (buyers remorse & lemon laws).

I did find some info about New York's consumer protection laws regarding returns and it states:

I don't however see anything related to the sale of defective merchandise.