AT&T Iphone subsidy question.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by silentsal, Feb 12, 2009.

1. silentsal macrumors member

Hi all,

This is my first post just to let you all know.

My Cell One contract is going to be up in 3 days and I wanted to wait until (hopefully) the new Iphone comes out in July. However I need a phone with a plan until then. If I keep my current phone without getting a new one, just a new sim card, how long do I have to upgrade to a phone still at the subsided price?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is the wrong forum, I wasn't sure what it would fit under.

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

just stick with your cellular one plan. You can just go month to month until you decide to get an iPhone. If you switch to ATT now you will be ineligible for the subsidize price for at least 18 months.

Another option would be to get a used phone and switch to ATT.

Another reason for sticking with Cellular One is if/when a new iPhone comes in July there may be new carrier options. Its unlikely but who knows.

3. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

well u cant get a new att sim card without converting the account to att which would require u, most likely, to get a new device. so ur best bet is to just wait with everything u have for the next iphone, or just go ahead and get the 3G

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

Welcome.

AT&T does offer a bring your device capability but it can be difficult to get at some Authorized Agents and even some AT&T Corporate Retail location. Here is the official announcement from AT&T that covers the no contract options.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4800&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=25390

Some locations will claim that they have to add a two-year service commitment to your contract and then they will remove it after you sign. I would suggest that you stay firm and reference the "Press Release". Special Note: Some rate plans do require a two-year commitment!

You can also sign a contract without selecting a phone, just make sure that you do not accept any phone, even if they claim it is FREE! This as you already know will use your "handset" subsidy on that contract. Normally your "discounted handset upgrade eligibility" will remain for the duration of the contract. Since you are looking to upgrade to the new iPhone X this summer you should be fine.

Dave

5. silentsal thread starter macrumors member

Well the going month-to-month thing is impossible for me to do.

I am on a family plan and the main line has to upgrade for business purposes.

I think I have a friend giving me an AT&T phone in the next few days, is it possible just to use this phone and still get a new SIM card with it? Since no matter what AT&T gives you a new SIM card while switching, right?

6. dave006 macrumors 68020

Sorry for any confusion, I think we need more information about your request.

Today it sounds like you are using a secondary line on a CellOne Family plan. Are you converting the Family plan to an AT&T FamilyTalk plan with the main line and are there any additional lines involved? The AT&T FamilyTalk plan requires two lines and a two year service commitment.

Dave

7. silentsal thread starter macrumors member

Ok here is my whole situation:

I am currently the secondary line on the contract. My brother is the main line and we are the only 2. Right now we have a basic cell one plan with unlimited messaging for both and thats it.

Now my brother needs to upgrade and since I have no way of staying on the cell one plan by my own and due to school purposes, I can't go without a phone for the next few months. I have just a basic Cell One phone and was wondering if I can keep and use that phone when I go to AT&T until the new Iphone maybe comes out?
    Also my question was, if all that is possible, is there a certain time period in which I have to upgrade before they erase my eligibility for subsided price on it?

8. jlwillia macrumors regular

Here is what I would do:

Go to ATT and get the 3G now. When the new one comes out, you can probably (hopefully) sell the 3G for $500 on eBay or craigslist. To get the new iPhone you will have to pay full price & re-sign a 2 year contract. The new one will likely cost the same as the 3G, $599 or $699. So basically, you will pay $100 or $200 for the new one taking into consideration how much you can sell the 3G for this summer.

Disclaimer: This plan assumes several things. First, that you will be able to sell the 3G for about $500 this summer. Who knows, right? Second, that the new iPhone will be similiarily priced as the 3G. You know what they say about assumptions...

9. dave006 macrumors 68020

OK. First since you want to keep costs down, just go with your brother on a new AT&T FamilyTalk plan. You don't care what phone he choosed but make sure that you do not take any phone offered by AT&T, even if they say it is FREE. This is to preserve your upgrade subsidy for the new iPhone X this summer. It sounds like you can use the AT&T phone from your friend and just get a new AT&T SIM.

Tell us more about the phone or the specific CellOne phone that you current have so we can determine if you can just reuse it on the new AT&T FamilyTalk plan.

Yes, you will have to sign a two-year service agreement, since that is required on the first 2 phones on a FamilTalk plan but don't worry that will not cause you to loose an equipment upgrade unless you take a new phone from AT&T! ( Just say no to any offer of a Free phone ).

Dave

10. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I think it's actually $399 or $499 for an unsubsidized one. The prices you listed were what people payed for the 2G when it first came out.

11. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Actually that's impossible because Apple signed a 5 year contract with AT&T. This is only the third year.

12. silentsal thread starter macrumors member

Alright I'll remember to not take any phone from AT&T until the Iphone X comes out.

The phone I currently have is a very basic...brick basically. Its a samsung SGH-X506. The phone I would be getting from my friend is the free one they offered a few months ago...all I know about it is that it's a nokia and its black.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Check with Cell One, but I know with AT&T (and probably the other carriers), each line in a family plan is it's own contract with it's own contract end date, so if it's the same with Cell One, your brother can upgrade his phone, but as long as you don't upgrade yours, you're still out of contract.

For example, I signed up with AT&T in July 2008, so my contract ends in June 2010. I added my parents as additional lines on my family plan, so they could take advantage of my discount, in December 2008. My contract is still up in July 2010, theirs is up in December 2010. If, in July, I decide to upgrade my phone, my end date is then July 2012, but their contract end date is still December 2010, and at that time, I'm free to cancel those lines or move them to a different carrier without paying any early termination fees. All the lines are on the same family plan, but their contract end dates are independent of each other.

14. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Even when the contract is up I doubt that they will contract with anyone else because of all the GSM carriers, AT&T seems to be the best. While I hate that AT&T treats us, their most exclusive and highest paying customer group, like some kind of burden and add-on to the network, I would rather have AT&T's service over TMobile's.

15. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

When the contract is up Apple is free to develop CDMA versions and give it to Sprint or Verizon, or both. I think after 5 years, Apple will try to make their iPhone available to more customers. Plus crappy or not, each carrier do have millions of customers, and that's millions more potential customers for Apple, so I don't think it's a negative thing for Apple regardless what additional carriers they choose. At the beginning other carriers were hesitant about the iPhone because of Apple's high demands, but the success of the iPhone would no doubt ease their mind.

16. silentsal thread starter macrumors member

Well since AT&T bought Cell One, I would think that they would make their rules the same. I suppose as last resort I could just not have a phone for a few months until I can sign up and get Iphone X but that would cause some major problems in the family.

17. dave006 macrumors 68020

Sorry, not quite the correct information concerning this case. A FamilyTalk rate plan requires two (2) lines and in this case, it would be a new FamilyTalk plan so both lines would start at the same time. CellOne is now part of AT&T / is in the process of being absorbed by the "Death Star".

The Samsung SGH-X506 used to be offered by AT&T and it will work on AT&T in your new FamilyTalk plan.

Is your brother going to get a new AT&T plan? Just follow the suggestions above and get the AT&T FamilyTalk plan to replace your CellOne plans. There really is no need for you to be without a phone, unless you just want to save a few dollars for your new iPhone X.:)

Dave

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

On AT&T it's correct. If one line upgrades, the other line's contract doesn't renew. If you cancel the second line, then the first line must move to a non Family Talk plan, but contract dates don't change

19. Eric Noa macrumors 6502

Eric Noa

That is not necessarily true, cause I got the iPhone in March of 2008 as a B-Day present, and went in January of 2009 and got the iPhone 3G for $299, the 16GB, and that was just 10 months apart.

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

People with the original iPhone were allowed to upgrade to the 3G at the subsidy price. People with other phones were not

21. silentsal thread starter macrumors member

Thats very good news that I can use this phone, thank you for the information, I kind of research phones for a living and I didn't even know that lol. (Not the companies if your wondering why I don't know the answer to my post.)

My brother is going to get the equivalent AT&T plan of what we have now. Our current plan is the nation wide roaming with 500 minutes which is basically AT&T's FAMILYTALK 550 minutes with roll over.