AT&T iPhone Tethering Details Emerge

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jlake02, Nov 11, 2008.

1. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

After the uproar caused by the yanking of NetShare from the AppStore, AT&T promised an official tethering solution.

Details are now out, but I gotta say... if you're willing to pay an extra $30 (on top of the $30 you're already paying for data) then you sure must want tethering.. and the limit isn't that good either. I blow through that in a day.

Anyone here going to get it?

2. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Of course not. There is always that guy that argues productivity though. I can't see how it is worth it. I can get most things done on my iPhone anyway.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's what I've been saying all week. AT&T's network is already getting tight with all the new 3G phones out there. The LAST thing they want is a bunch of laptops jumping on and making things more crowded. They're obviously going to put it at a price most people won't want to pay.

Because of that fact I knew this would be somewhere between $20-$30 a month extra.

No surprises here.

4. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

I'll probably get it if I start working on site for a client again. Not all clients provide and Internet connection and I don't like being monitored or restricted. I use MySpace for instance to get local band showtimes for my website.

As long as I can turn it off when I'm done. I would have gotten a wireless card which would probably be faster except then you're locked into $60+ a month for years.

5. jlake02 thread starter macrumors 68020

jlake02

Honestly, if you're only going to use it a bit, I'd just jailbreak and use one of those tethering options. If you don't overdo it, you'll be fine.

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I can't imagine that you really blow through 5GB of data in a day. Unless you're constantly torrenting or buying films on iTunes there is no way you can do that with email and web browsing. That sounds like a pretty good plan to me.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It's most likely 5GB per billing cycle (month).

8. jlake02 thread starter macrumors 68020

jlake02

I do a lot of video work on websites, so 300mb files are constantly going up and down. Don't really torrent much, but 5gb a day is pretty easy for me.

And, yes, this is 5gb a month.. that'd go pretty darn fast unless you're just checking emails, etc.

9. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Actually +30 on your monthly bill is what ATT usually charges for tethering. It looks like they are not giving any special treatment to the iPhone plans anymore, and just bringing the pricing in line with the rest of their phones.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Right, but the point for ALL of the tethering plans (for any phone) is that they don't want laptops on their network. So if anyone says "that's too expensive" well, yeah, that's the point.

11. detz macrumors 65816

It's meant for people that need to do light browsing and email, it's not made for everyday heavy use.

12. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The OP said he goes through that in a day. I know what the plan means.

13. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

I'll certainly check into it when the time comes. My biggest fear is that AT&T just won't have the capacity and the service will be crap. That or my location will have a terrible signal like the last place I worked where I had to leave my desk just to take a phone call.

14. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

And how often are you doing that work out in the middle of nowhere or some place that doesn't have wifi?

15. jlake02 thread starter macrumors 68020

jlake02

Almost never, but if its meant to be an internet replacement while you're mobile, it's not a very viable option for heavy net users. :eek:

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

But in fact it is. There's a difference between heavy net users and people constantly uploading and downloading files.

And by the way, when you say it's not a very viable option what are you suggesting would be a better option?

17. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

It's not worth an extra $30 dollars imo. Save money and Jailbreak your phone and use PDAnet

18. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

$30.00 bucks extra to tether? Why, when you can do it for free on JB iPhones? If you dont live on teh tether, you'll be fine.

Fricken AT&T :mad:

19. jlake02 thread starter macrumors 68020

jlake02

A better option? Try unlimited bandwidth for the absurd $60/mo you'd be paying for mobile internet. 5GB doesn't cut it bro.

20. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I'm asking if there is any other service provider that provides unlimited bandwidth for $60/month.

21. jlake02 thread starter macrumors 68020

jlake02

22. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Well there's not. Don't be an idiot this is a good deal. It takes a lot of money and time to keep such a network up, of course they're going to charge you a premium price for a premium service.

23. jlake02 thread starter macrumors 68020

jlake02

Knock yourself out, pal. I'll keep my $30 and use JB to tether if/when I need it. Have fun.

24. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

have fun with that. If you go over your 5GB limit (yes you already have this limit) they'll shut off your data service. And they'll be able to charge you a lot extra on account of you tethering, which is unauthorized under your wireless contract.

25. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

Has this actually happened to an iPhone user yet? I have only done it twice to check emails when away from wireless and have had no issues obviously. But those who surf graphically intense sites while tethering...:eek: