at&t / iPhone users can now make international calls...

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
I just got a text alert from at&t saying:

"Your phone can now make international calls from the US & when UR traveling overseas. Stnd intl rates apply. Visit att.com/wirelessinternational"

Just an FYI, FWIW.

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
I didn't know there was a restriction, I have had international roaming turned on for years on my att account and it works well in Europe, so what is this all about?

robvia

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
Right, we made a phone call from the UK to the states and it worked. Rate is $1.29 a minute, 99 cents if you have a plan. Carrier used over there said O2-UK.

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
Maybe the text message is a promotion, they saw you did not have international roaming turned on and they are pitching you. I have not received a message.

robvia

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
Oh yeah, I remember that now. I called AT&T before our trip and had to be transferred to another department that turned on international calling. They said that for people who have the phone less than 30 days, they have to do some special things to turn it on.

We only made the one call, I turned off my e-mail account, and didn't use the web because of the $3000 phone bill scare from someone else on this forum. I used 1kb of data, which should only be 2 cents. Text messages are 50 cents to send while roaming in the UK.