Carrier AT&T iPhone voice over LTE working? (Seattle)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WilliamG, Dec 1, 2014.

1. WilliamG macrumors G3

I'm out right now in Seattle, and realized voice over LTE is working. Am I stupid, or did this just go live?

2. macmaccy macrumors member

Im just north of Seattle and don't have VoLTE yet. Still switches to 4G on calls. Does it still show LTE during calls? It may have just started to roll-out...maybe just a few towers are live??
    Not sure how they roll this out????

3. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Yep. Rolled out here. Sounds like a FaceTime call when I call my wife's iPhone 6. Really clear.

Attached Files:

4. macmaccy macrumors member

Cool.... What part of Seattle? Did you have a carrier update or is this feature already active?
    I read that Verizon customers have to enable this online but the feature was active out of the box.

5. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

6. KPOM macrumors G5

On AT&T it's automatically active once VoLTE is rolled out. You just need to make sure that in your iPhone settings under "Cellular" that "Enable LTE" is activated for "Voice & Data." By default, it is enabled for "Data" only. VoLTE calls will fall back onto UMTS if you leave an AT&T LTE coverage area.

On Verizon, you need to activate "Advanced Calling 1.0" on the "Change Features" page in MyVerizon. The only reason you need to do that is to agree to a change in terms to note that video calls count against both your minutes and data allotments. You also need to manually change the LTE settings on the iPhone to enable "Voice & Data" on LTE. The downside is that VoLTE calls on Verizon don't fall back onto CDMA if you lose LTE coverage.

Verizon and T-Mobile both have nationwide VoLTE deployed. Verizon is keeping it relatively low profile and making the additional steps necessary to activate it until it is confident that it has filled in the gaps in its LTE coverage so that call drop rates don't increase significantly. AT&T is relatively early in its rollout of VoLTE and generally announces VoLTE expansion in waves, so they may not be advertising Seattle as a VoLTE market yet.

7. macmaccy macrumors member

I was finally able to get volte on all my iPhones. Since Im in the Seattle area I couldn't understand why it was not working for me. I removed the SIM card and reinserted. BAM...volte works!!!

Some of my iPhones after reinserting the SIM went black and a message displayed about my iPhone sent an SMS. BTW...I have 2 iPhones 6's and 4 iPhones 6 +'s. None of them connected via volte until I removed and reinserted the SIM.

Volte sounds great!!!!:D