Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brettka7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I’ve had an iPhone X since launch day, and I’ve been extremely unimpressed with connectivity issues.

AT&T has historically been rock solid in the places I go in Orange County, and I have never experienced issues prior to the iPhone 7 & X.

Since I have had my X, I have had absolute garbage reception at work. I’ve reported the issues to AT&T, but my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and my HTC 10 never had issues in the exact same locations. The iPhones show decent reception (usually 2/4 bars), but they don’t actually do anything. Every app gives me a “couldn’t load/reach xxxxx” errors. Safari and chrome never load their site pages.

The odd thing is, I can replicate these issues on WiFi once they’ve begun on LTE with my X. My 2015 MacBook Pro and my work-issued iPhone 6S will chug along just fine, but the iPhone X is absolutely useless at work. 75% of the time it loads at Edge speeds, and the rest of the time it simply won’t load anything on LTE or WiFi.

These issues are worst at work, but they can be replicated anywhere with a roof. They can be replicated inside a car. They usually cannot be replicated outdoors. The phone will show strong WiFi and/or LTE coverage, and then suddenly everything stops loading despite the phone believing it has no connectivity issues. Switching off WiFi to LTE doesn’t fix it, nor does switching LTE to WiFi. All I can do it set it down for a minute or two to work itself out and then come back to it once I no longer want to throw it through the drywall.

Another odd thing is this has persisted through the replacement device I picked up earlier this year. Has anyone else confirmed and hardware upgrades on a newer revision of the AT&T model? I’d love to get it exchanged for a phone that works properly!

Hustler

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2010
My att launch x does it as well on lte and WiFi, work or home more intermittently than yours however.
Sometimes airplane mode on then off fixes it. But when it doesn’t settings>display>bold re springs the phone and I get data flowing after that. If all else fails I angrily hard reset the phone lol.
I was at Apple getting my S0 Apple Watch battery tested and described my problem on the x so they ran diagnostics and found no faults. I didn’t press for a replacement at the time because I was actually there to get my watch looked at.

Reactions: Brettka7

Brettka7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
My att launch x does it as well on lte and WiFi, work or home more intermittently than yours however.
Sometimes airplane mode on then off fixes it. But when it doesn’t settings>display>bold re springs the phone and I get data flowing after that. If all else fails I angrily hard reset the phone lol.
I was at Apple getting my S0 Apple Watch battery tested and described my problem on the x so they ran diagnostics and found no faults. I didn’t press for a replacement at the time because I was actually there to get my watch looked at.

I’ll try the airplane mode next time it starts acting up. I had diagnostics run on my launch day X and they found no issues, but they believed me and replaced it. I think it may help to start screen recording once the issues begin at work.

It’s just baffling to me that when the issues begin, they continue over LTE and wifi instead of only one or the other.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I am also on AT&T and had an unlocked HTC 10 that managed to get amazing connectivity and crystal clear call quality. My S7 Edge was also almost as good. S8+ is good but introduced crackle noises. My iPhone 6S Plus was good.

Sigh...Unlocked Qualcomm iPhone 7+ was atrocious. My husband had one, too. When he would call my 7+ on his 7+ we couldn’t make heads or tails out of our conversations and had to hang up and use our Android phones. We had issues over WiFi and LTE and every setting and combination of settings we tried. We never got it resolved. That’s one of several reasons I decided to trade my iPhone 7 Plus in for an 8 Plus.

Intel AT&T iPhone X was good on AT&T. I had it only one month (I’m not ready to give up the older form factor). I have two intel AT&T iPhone 8 Pluses and they are good. In the car when the signal drops to 1 or two bars I can have trouble loading pages while my Samsung S9+ and Pixel 2 hold steady. But overall these 8 Pluses are worlds better than the 7 Plus I had.

Your iPhone X should be performing the same as the December X I had. But it sounds more like how my iPhone 7 Plus used to act. For a few days I did have an unlocked iPhone 8 Plus with a Qualcomm modem. It was atrocious and I returned it for the Intel AT&T version.

I which I could tell you what’s going on but I have no idea. We never figured it out.

Reactions: Brettka7

Brettka7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I am also on AT&T and had an unlocked HTC 10 that managed to get amazing connectivity and crystal clear call quality. My S7 Edge was also almost as good. S8+ is good but introduced crackle noises. My iPhone 6S Plus was good.

Sigh...Unlocked Qualcomm iPhone 7+ was atrocious. My husband had one, too. When he would call my 7+ on his 7+ we couldn’t make heads or tails out of our conversations and had to hang up and use our Android phones. We had issues over WiFi and LTE and every setting and combination of settings we tried. We never got it resolved. That’s one of several reasons I decided to trade my iPhone 7 Plus in for an 8 Plus.

Intel AT&T iPhone X was good on AT&T. I had it only one month (I’m not ready to give up the older form factor). I have two intel AT&T iPhone 8 Pluses and they are good. In the car when the signal drops to 1 or two bars I can have trouble loading pages while my Samsung S9+ and Pixel 2 hold steady. But overall these 8 Pluses are worlds better than the 7 Plus I had.

Your iPhone X should be performing the same as the December X I had. But it sounds more like how my iPhone 7 Plus used to act. For a few days I did have an unlocked iPhone 8 Plus with a Qualcomm modem. It was atrocious and I returned it for the Intel AT&T version.

I which I could tell you what’s going on but I have no idea. We never figured it out.

I nearly got a Qualcomm iPhone X instead of an AT&T one. Read so many good things about the Qualcomm chip over the intel one! I was certainly frustrated with my intel iPhone 7+. Then I can across the horror stories of the Qualcomm iPhones on AT&T.

It doesn’t feel like something Apple would let affect two generations of iPhones, but it also doesn’t seem to be an at&t issue. I am surprised how few people seem to have this problem on the forums, as it has persisted through iPhone 7+, iPhone X #1, and now iPhone X #2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.