AT&T iPhone4S: CellData:Off = 2G voice?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alanmcdonley, Oct 22, 2011.

1. alanmcdonley macrumors newbie

alanmcdonley

Question: On my AT&T iPhone4S with the "Cellular Data" setting on OFF, the 3G indicator goes away.

Does this mean my voice calls will use 2G/GSM system?

(Apple specs 8h 3G talk time and 14h 2G/GSM talk time, thus 2G calls use about half the battery load of a 3G call)

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Nope. Turning off data doesn't turn off 3G. I have a bad area where I only get 1 bar of 3G and 2-3 bars of Edge but have a Microcell that gives me 5 bars of 3G. When I turn off cell data I still have 5 bars. Even if it doesn't have the 3G symbol I know that 3G isn't turned off...

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

3G is turned off.

GSM uses different transmissions for data and voice. That's why you can browse the web while using the phone.

All internet is turned off - if you get an MMS, it won't download. If you get an email, it won't download.

Voice calls will go through since it's a different type of data.

4. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Dead wrong.

I have cellular data turned off as we speak and I have 5 bars and instead of "AT&T" on the top left it says "AT&T M-Cell". The microcell only broadcasts a 3G signal so if 3G was actually turned off by cellular daya being turned off I wouldn't be getting the microcell signal.

Nice try tho... ;)

5. Cuneyd macrumors member

thank you! come on people you dont know the difference between voice and data.. than if you dont get a data plan howd you think you talked:confused:

6. ap3604 macrumors 68000

[​IMG]

7. apprunner macrumors regular

Ap is right. Turning off cellular data doesn't mean it turns off 3G. Voice is handled by both 3G and 2G. data is also handed by 3G and 2G. When you disable cellular data, all it turns off is the ability to download IP data and you go strictly to packet switch voice.

8. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

The key word is WiFi. :)