AT&T is clearly overcharging on data.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hcho3, May 20, 2011.

1. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I don't understand how my iphone 4 uses the data during the middle of night. It used over 300MB of data on downloading. Called AT&T for explanation, but they could not explain it. Ridiculous. Maybe it could be apps running on the background, but 300MB of data???

I use my iphone 4 barely, but this kind of explanation is ridiculous.

2. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

It may be your background apps. Because I know someone who *only* uses it as a phone and occasional text messaging and they use about 100MB of incidental data a month (like voicemail etc.)

3. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Sounds like you have an app running in the backround, close all apps before going to sleep and see if that fixes it, if that doesn't fix it a restore+set up as new is in order here.

4. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Turn on wifi at night or airplane mode.

Do you happen to have push turned on?

5. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

But I thought wifi is off when the phone is locked?

And just turn off cellular data instead of airplane mode so you can get calls.

6. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

This seems like the best quick fix. If AT&T is STILL showing data usage after that, then you know they're screwing with you.

7. Born Again macrumors regular

Again - there is something screwed on their end - u should get credit If u go over - ask

8. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

I hate ATT, but have them for a wonderful phone. I will be jumping ship to sprint if they ever get it...

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I'm not convinced it is on their end
    There are too many variables to just blame AT&T for trying to screw the customer by cheating on their data usage

10. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

And you can do that by settings-general-network-cellular data

11. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

MSNBC just did a huge story about this. Some scientist (or someone who plays on on TV) bought a brand new iPhone 4, turned everything off, put it in a drawer, and STILL got charged for downloading data from AT&T.

What really kills me -- AT&T is consistently rated as having the worst carrier service in the U.S. -- and now we find out they've been overcharging for it.

I suspect we'll hear a lot more about this in the coming days.

12. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

I know the iPhone (or any phone) sends packets of data to and from the cell tower to operate, but that should NOT count towards user data when it is charged by the MB.

13. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

We will continue to see issues like this as long as Att has the bulk of its customers on capped data plans. 200 MB for data is a joke as most people will go over that easily. Even the 2 Gig data plan will have some folks going over several times a year. 500MB, 2Gig, 5Gig, and unlimited options should be available at $10, $20, $30, $35 a month for data usage respectively. But then again why should I complain right? I pay well under $70 a month for unlimited data with 450 anytime minutes, luckily I kept my unlimited data plan and have a discount as well. Yet I still think I pay too much and others who are less fortunate are clearly being raped by ATT rates.

14. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Keep in mind - what seems to happen is that AT&T bills a day's usage in one big chunk during their batch process at night. Notice that you have a couple small charges during the day then one huge one? Most likely that's what the sequential updates missing during the realtime billing during the day.

15. bks691 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It could be an app but most likely the fact that AT&T does their data tally early morning between 1-4 am. So if you surf and download all day long about 90% will show up at 2 am on your bill. It's been this way for several years.

16. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

What ever happened to the lawsuit against att for their data charges?

17. err404 macrumors 68020

Not for nothing, but how is your phone being aggressive on data usage AT&T's fault?
    As for 300mb showing up over night, where were you seeing this? IIRC the AT&T site has a delay for when data is used before it shows up. The data could be for any time in the prior 24 hours. Also the data usage meter on the iPhone itself has been very inaccurate in the past.