AT&T is Throttling ALL Smartphone Users Regardless of your Plan Or Data Usage

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by The iGentleman, Aug 1, 2012.

1. The iGentleman macrumors 6502a

I am on AT&T and their data speeds have gotten to the point that they are unbearable when I'm on a phone call. When I'm not on a call, the data speeds are perfectly fine, but when on a call, the speeds drop tremendously. The ping becomes so high and the upload so low, that using the web while on a call becomes excruciatingly slow. If you want to see a real world example of it, try sending someone a picture message while you're on a call, it will take forever.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1791955

2. RMXO macrumors 6502a

I'm on a grandfathered unlimited plan & I can't even send MMS anymore, on/off call. It would try to send forever & just end up timing out.

3. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

That's not throttling. Its because your on a call. If you had an lte phone it would be different as it uses a separate radio. At least the cmda ones do. I can't comment on the gsm ones. If your on 3g HSDPA+ then the call is using the same radio. Voice calls actually are pretty taxing on the radio.

4. The iGentleman thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's not true. It was not always this way. As a matter of fact, AT&T used to advertise the fact you could talk and surf. Back at that time, you could talk and surf just fine. This is a deliberate change that was made on the part of AT&T. It's not a technological limitation at all. Even the people on the thread I linked to have pointed out the same thing, it wasn't always this way for them either.

5. asr10 user macrumors regular

Att throtlling is the main reason why I left my iphone to go with an SG3 on T-Mobile prepaid.

I had a pretty great ATT plan, unlimited data and ATT 28% FAN account. But it became useless after they throttled me.

Now I am paying $30 per month instead of $100, for even more data.