Carrier AT&T IUP Phones locked?

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Last year we had dual sim AT&T/Verizon iPhone XS Max, purchased through the Upgrade Plan. During the year we switched to Xfinity and used dual sim AT&T/Xfinity on the phone.

We upgraded this year with the AT&T line with IUP but received a “Sim not Supported” message when we inserted the Xfinity sim in the new phone.

I thought phones purchased through IUP are unlocked? BTW, the Xfinity sim worked fine with a sim free 11 Pro Max.

noteple

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2011
Last year we had dual sim AT&T/Verizon iPhone XS Max, purchased through the Upgrade Plan. During the year we switched to Xfinity and used dual sim AT&T/Xfinity on the phone.

We upgraded this year with the AT&T line with IUP but received a “Sim not Supported” message when we inserted the Xfinity sim in the new phone.

I thought phones purchased through IUP are unlocked? BTW, the Xfinity sim worked fine with a sim free 11 Pro Max.
Nearly all iPhone models sold on apple.com and at the Apple Store are unlocked. This means they aren’t tied to a single carrier. The exception is when you buy an iPhone with AT&T Next. It will be tied — or locked — to AT&T.

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East

Yes an IUP purchased iPhone is unlocked. The issue you have is that you ordered and "upgrade" for an AT&T phone number. In this case you will initially active your new iPhone with either then new included AT&T NANO-SIM or an existing active AT&T NANO-SIM. Once you have completed the upgrade activation then you can swap in any valid active NANO-SIM like one from xFinity.

Dave

pogiboi

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
I'm seeing something similar with Verizon. AT&T with iUP, tried activating my Verizon esim and verizon says it's not supported with my phones imei

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Yes an IUP purchased iPhone is unlocked. The issue you have is that you ordered and "upgrade" for an AT&T phone number. In this case you will initially active your new iPhone with either then new included AT&T NANO-SIM or an existing active AT&T NANO-SIM. Once you have completed the upgrade activation then you can swap in any valid active NANO-SIM like one from xFinity.

Dave
We did exactly that but the Xfinity sim still did not work on the new phone. We don’t have a 3rd sim to test if the phone is actually locked.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
I'm seeing something similar with Verizon. AT&T with iUP, tried activating my Verizon esim and verizon says it's not supported with my phones imei
Was your new phone shipped to you or in store pick up? We had 2 phones. The in store pick up phone was fine. The shipped phone did not accept the Xfinity SIM card.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Not sure if anyone has tried to port your ATT phone over. I have and Verizon doesn't recognize the 11pro as a valid IMEI.
Called apple and they said it was locked
Called ATT and they said it was unlocked
Called apple and they said it was unlocked
Called ATT and they assured me it was unlocked

Requested an unlock via ATT online.
It was granted.
Restored my phone via itunes and after it was completed a windows popped up saying it was now unlocked

I will try to see if Verizon recognizes my device tomorrow.