Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
People will do anything to save a few bucks but then bitch and complain when they don't have coverage. AT&T might be overpriced but it works mostly everywhere I go.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
You can do so much better with T-Mobile; why do they even bother?

Not that I'm a fan of AT&T, but T-Mobile's coverage could be better.

Sure, I'd save money switching to T-Mobile -- but not worth it if I don't have service where I need it.

Where I'm sitting right now looking out the window I have five bars AT&T LTE and 39Mbps down / 15Mbps up via speedtest app. Same unlocked iPhone 5s with a T-Mobile SIM in the same iPhone 5s and I have No Service. I get EDGE if I go outside and do get T-Mobile LTE in other locations.

Mistrblank

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
You know, as far as I'm aware t-mobile doesn't do shared data. It's a minimum charge of $70 per smartphone and like $40 for a tablet with a decent amount of data. With my wife and our four devices it's cheaper to run AT&T with shared data. Dunno about this Next plan though, I'll have to look into it.

You are not aware and grossly missinformed.

Tmobile is $50 for a single phone plan that includes unlimited talk and text. You get 500MB of 4G/LTE (or whatever the fastest data your phone can handle on their network) service after which you still receive unlimited data for the month that is throttled to a slower speed (for me, the throttled speed was actually better than the often lacking and inconsistent data I received from AT&T at my location for most of my day). The next line is only $30 additional for the same talk, text and it's own data allotment. Each phone after the second is an additional $10, up to 5 total phones on your plan.

You may add 2GB (for 2.5GB total) of high speed data to any phone on the plan for $10 a month or $20 for unlimited data per phone. All plans include hotspot functionality (the unlimited plan is capped at 2.5GB hi speed).

If you have a qualifying plan you can add a tablet with 200MB of data for nothing. They have on demand plans. For $10 with a qualifying plan 500MB of data, then add $10 for each additional 2GB to add to your plan.

All coverage is not equal. It worked well for my wife and I because AT&T service was abysmally absent for 8 hours of my day at work and any time we spent at home. In both of those areas we get exceptional TMobile service which covers about 90% of our lives. I recognize this isn't the case for everyone and sometimes people have to pay extra for service in their area because it's all that's available. The $40 or so we saved per month switching plans is well spent in paying off other debts.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Not that I'm a fan of AT&T, but T-Mobile's coverage could be better.

Sure, I'd save money switching to T-Mobile -- but not worth it if I don't have service where I need it.

Where I'm sitting right now looking out the window I have five bars AT&T LTE and 39Mbps down / 15Mbps up via speedtest app. Same unlocked iPhone 5s with a T-Mobile SIM in the same iPhone 5s and I have No Service. I get EDGE if I go outside and do get T-Mobile LTE in other locations.

I am in the same boat. I really want to switch to T-Mobile to save money, but when I tested out their coverage with my unlocked iPhone, I couldn't get any bars in the places I used my phone the most.

I'm sure their coverage is getting better and as soon as they get coverage everywhere I need it, I will switch. Until then, I am stuck with AT&T.

Ericus Macabeus

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2009
Delray Beach, Florida

Tmobile is $50 for a single phone plan that includes unlimited talk and text. You get 500MB of 4G/LTE (or whatever the fastest data your phone can handle on their network) service after which you still receive unlimited data for the month that is throttled to a slower speed (for me, the throttled speed was actually better than the often lacking and inconsistent data I received from AT&T at my location for most of my day). The next line is only $30 additional for the same talk, text and it's own data allotment. Each phone after the second is an additional $10, up to 5 total phones on your plan.

You may add 2GB (for 2.5GB total) of high speed data to any phone on the plan for $10 a month or $20 for unlimited data per phone. All plans include hotspot functionality (the unlimited plan is capped at 2.5GB hi speed).

If you have a qualifying plan you can add a tablet with 200MB of data for nothing. They have on demand plans. For $10 with a qualifying plan 500MB of data, then add $10 for each additional 2GB to add to your plan.

All coverage is not equal. It worked well for my wife and I because AT&T service was abysmally absent for 8 hours of my day at work and any time we spent at home. In both of those areas we get exceptional TMobile service which covers about 90% of our lives. I recognize this isn't the case for everyone and sometimes people have to pay extra for service in their area because it's all that's available. The $40 or so we saved per month switching plans is well spent in paying off other debts.

I quote this man in the name of truth! Truth I say!

That is a really good recap of tmobile plans. My buddy just stitched from Verizon to tmobile and literally cut his bill in HALF. He was paying around $150 a month (high data plan) and is now at $70. He bought his iPhone full price so he'll make that back in approximately 6 months. He's now saving >$1350 over his former 2 year verizon contract!

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
If you have a qualifying plan you can add a tablet with 200MB of data for nothing.

Clarification: Anyone / everyone gets the free 200MB/mo tablet data. No qualifying plan required at all. You just need a T-Mobile SIM (easily obtained for free or nearly so).

To get a $10/mo discount on added OnDemand data then yes you do need a phone plan, but nothing required for the 200MB/mo data.

hansonjohn590

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2013
Why is this a 'plan'? This this be standard - when you have a device that is not being subsidized your monthly cost should automatically go down.

Mistrblank

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Clarification: Anyone / everyone gets the free 200MB/mo tablet data. No qualifying plan required at all. You just need a T-Mobile SIM (easily obtained for free or nearly so).

To get a $10/mo discount on added OnDemand data then yes you do need a phone plan, but nothing required for the 200MB/mo data.

Cool, thanks. I wasn't 100% sure so I didn't want to say that. The only information I could quickly dig up is what I indicated and how it's presented if you try to add a device to your existing plan.

powerbooks

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2009
T-mobile Speed

For those who complained the T-Mobile speed. First check your phone.

Not all iPhone 5 (even unlocked) will support T-mobile HSPA and LTE bands. You have to have the newest one after April 2013 release to have the AWS1700 band support for T-Mobile high speed. Also, check Apple iPhone 5 T-Mobile support here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5720

All iPhone 5S should have the same bands for both ATT and T-Mobile.

Still, I agree with some of you that T-mobile signal may not be as good as ATT because the high frequency bands tend to have less penetration into a building comparing to ATT's low frequency bands.

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012

And don't forget that if you are somewhere with wifi, you don't even need to get a good t-mobile signal as they will route your calls through the wifi.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
IMO, it doesn't seem complicated.

If you don't buy a phone from AT&T at the subsidized price, they'll discount your bill by $15/month.

That's $360 you save over a 24-month period.

Just a flat $15?

So someone with a $90 bill saves $15 (~17%), but then someone with a $300 bill still only saves $15 (~5%)?

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
Once again, unlimited users don't get the benefit of this new plan. Yes, AT&T has no obligation to us and would rather we "data hogs," as they call us, change to a tiered plan. All these changes are being made to entice people to get off the unlimited plan.

I bought my phone full-price from Apple, and my contract ended last month. Do I get a discount on my current plan? NOPE! Unless I give up my unlimited data plan.

Unfortunately, T-Mobile is not an option for me. I tried their service last month, and coverage was poor. I was getting EDGE in the office, and in places I frequently go. So, I'm stuck with AT&T.

Maybe someday, I can finally say goodbye to AT&T. Then they can shove their limited "unlimited" data plan up to where the sun doesn't shine.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Cool, thanks. I wasn't 100% sure so I didn't want to say that. The only information I could quickly dig up is what I indicated and how it's presented if you try to add a device to your existing plan.

No worries.

Also - this works with non-T-Mobile ipads just fine. I have the 200MB plan active on both a Verizon ipad3 and a Verizon rMini (different SIMs obviously). I mostly use the AT&T $25/1GB/3month plan on my rMini but have the T-Mobile SIM just for kicks.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
For those who complained the T-Mobile speed. First check your phone.

Not all iPhone 5 (even unlocked) will support T-mobile HSPA and LTE bands. You have to have the newest one after April 2013 release to have the AWS1700 band support for T-Mobile high speed. Also, check Apple iPhone 5 T-Mobile support here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5720

All iPhone 5S should have the same bands for both ATT and T-Mobile.

Still, I agree with some of you that T-mobile signal may not be as good as ATT because the high frequency bands tend to have less penetration into a building comparing to ATT's low frequency bands.

Excellent point that many people are not aware of. It was the same thing with Sprint and Verizon on CDMA. Sprint had the higher frequencies so they had less building penetration.

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
We live in the boondocks and use att, I have 0 complaints about the coverage or service, Lte is even available here now. I really wish that carriers besides att and verizon were viable options, but, looking at the coverage maps they are not and will not be for some time if not ever.

Because apple resale is historically fantastic, we upgrade each of the 3 iPhones with the new model introduction and resell the old phone on craigslist. Usually this allows for getting into a new phone with new warranty and new battery for just about a wash minus the cost of accessories and apple care+.

I've recently been strongly considering giving up our grandfathered unlimited plans on 2 of 3 iPhones (3rd is on 2gb tier) and converting the whole plan to a 10gb share for the tethering that would be gained. We usually only use 2-3 gb per month on the unlimited phones and about 300mb on the 3rd. One phone is insured, and there is a dumb phone line that has not been used in months due to a health issue, that line chances are will be dropped.

Just for comparisons sake

Current bill: 3 iphones :2 grandfathered unlimited, 1 2gb, unlimited text, 1400 minutes (could drop down to 700, but would run risk of going over every month). 1 phone insurance. 1 dumb phone

$230 ish after taxes and "15%" military discount program gotten in on about 10 years ago. The discount apparently only applies to core charges of the bill not additional lines.

Current mobile share: $120 for 10 gb, $30 per smartphone, $30 for the dumb phone, $7 for the 1 insured phone, plus taxes. Per att rep 15% would apply only to the $120.

$200 pre taxes without the dumb phone
$230 pre taxes with dumb phone.

New and improved plan: $100 for the 10gb, $40 for each smartphone, $20 for the dumb phone, 1 phone insured. 15% now counts for less with the offsetting to an increased smartphone fee.

$212 pre taxes without dumb phone
$232 pre taxes with dumb phone.

I'm not seeing a damn bit of benefit here for the person that keeps multiple lines on contract.

The increase of additional smartphones to $40 from $30 at the higher tiers is a pretty big damper. Any reduction in plan cost is gone after the 2nd or 3rd phone. And of course it appears I have sunday to decide.

Last edited:

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
If they are saying you can add smartphones for $25 to any shared-data plan, then that could be quite a bit of savings for the lower-tier data plans.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Does this Make AT&T Next a Good Deal??

AT&T offers the iPhone 5s (16GB) for $27/month for 20 months.
So total price for the iPhone 5s is $540 compared to retail of $650.
AT&T Next gets you $15/month discount.
So actual payment is $12/month extra. (After 20 months, that is $240 extra)

With 2-year contract, you can get the same phone for $236.
($200 for the phone plus $36 upgrade fee)
With 2-year contract, you won't get the $15/month discount.

I can't switch carriers & I have to get a new phone.

So, now with the new $15/month discount, is AT&T Next a better deal than the 2-year contract?

*Also, as far as I understand, I can pay off the AT&T Next contract as anytime and sell my phone. So if I want to upgrade, I would most likely pay off my phone and resell it myself.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
If you don't buy a phone from AT&T at the subsidized price, they'll discount your bill by $15/month.

That's $360 you save over a 24-month period.

I'm assuming most of us are actually talking about iPhones.

But I guess i'm not sure why MANY people would buy unsubsidized. As you pointed out it's $360 over a 24-month, that's only a few dollars savings for an iPhone ($549-$199=$348 is what the carrier pays for you, right?). Plus, if you get it one on sale somewhere you could actually save more. If you upgrade every 2-years, in essence you're just subsidizing yourself.

MANY people aren't switching their plans all the time and have no desire.
MANY people aren't traveling internationally that they need the unlocked phone.

I'm also making the assumption that people who (in the US, this is a US plan) are nothing to buy unlocked are possibly (likely) the same people who upgrade every two years, so they aren't gaining anything from the unsubsidized option if they're buying new ones and "subsidizing" it themselves.

A lot of people say they can hand the off contract over to their spouse or kid and they aren't needing to get a subsidized phone, but after 2 years that phone is (has been over the last 4 cycles) been worth over $200. It'd be cheeping to get the new iPhone for your kid/spouse (with a new battery and a new 1 year warranty) and have it worth something after two years. (FYI, a quick phone call to AT&T will get your $36 activation fee waived).

The HUGE benefit of having an off contract iPhone for your kids is so that you can take the phone off your contract to punish them (but then you're getting hit with activation fees).

Gary

Last edited:

jlforester

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
Morgantown, WV
I'll stick with my existing plan, thank you

No thanks, AT$T...

We don't need unlimited talk (we don't even use up our 450 minutes each month) or unlimited text (we use iMessage, so we're not paying for texting). I'm also not going to pay a ridiculous fee each month per device for the "privilege" of accessing the data that I'm already being charged for. It's a pool of data - why should I have to pay for each device that I want to use it with? That's why I have a mobile hotspot. One fee for the device and I can connect as many devices to it as I want up to the limit that the device supports with no extra monthly fees.

My current plan is $125/month including all the extra fees and taxes that get added in. An equivalent family share plan would cost $180, and that'd before the extra fees and taxes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.