AT&T... Less bars in less places

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by flyingscott, Jul 22, 2008.

1. flyingscott macrumors regular

flyingscott

I just got one of the iPhones I ordered, love it, not gripes about the phone itself... the problem is with AT&T. I had been a long time Verizon customer and had great coverage. On my way home yesterday, I hit several dead areas and at best had 3 bars.

Here is the coverage map of my "stomping grounds" (keep in mind, I don't much travel above I-69)

[​IMG]

I don't get 3G where they claim I would and the edge service is spotty.

My question... is there something that needs tweaking on my phone?

2. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

First off, I'm so sorry that you live there. :)

Secondly, I have the same issue here in Texas. The coverage for 3G isn't quite what it's cracked up to be. I also notice that sometimes my old iPhone, that my wife uses now, gets more bars than my new one even when it's just Edge for both of us.

3. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

I don't think it's the network, I think it's the phone.

My girlfriend has a (not iPhone) 3G phone. When driving around and being in my area with them side by side, the iPhone loses bars, where her 3G phone still gets full bars. I have excellent 3G service here, and it only went to EDGE once (in the building where I work which is bad for all cell carriers).

AT&T may tweak their network to work better with (what seems like to me) the crappy antenna in the iPhone.

4. flyingscott thread starter macrumors regular

flyingscott

Yeah, I agree... that is why I was wondering if I call AT&T, can they change some setting in the internals of the phone that may it's reception.

5. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

There is a rumor that 2.01 has a fix for the antenna bars indicator. Supposedly, the reception isn't worse (yeah right), but the bars aren't very accurate.

I don't agree with this, but it's the rumor.

My new iPHone doesn't get the reception my old one did. I can compare side by side, and to rule out just software regarding the antenna bars, I sometimes get "no service" on my new phone in my house where on my old phone it will still get a couple of bars.

6. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

Nope. It's a network wide thing. It's not a switch they can turn on and off. They may if this continues with more people, they can boost the signal which may help. There is only so much a network can do, there is a point the phone has to do the work.

7. dthree36 macrumors regular

No bars for me inside my house when Verizon had at least 2. I have to go outside just to stay on a call sometimes. I love the phone but I really am not liking the service that AT&T provides. Maybe it is the antenna but I love the phone so much that I will blame the coverage first.

8. flyingscott thread starter macrumors regular

flyingscott

I guess I was naive to think that Apple and AT&T would have made every effort to have such a high profile device perform as well (if not better) than any other phone on their network... I guess I was just that, naive...

I will call to complain later :(

9. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Less bars in less places would insinuate that you are precisely that. So, what are you trying to convey here? To me it sounds like you have reception problems. That should be "Less bars in MORE places". Less in Less = More than previously.

10. flyingscott thread starter macrumors regular

flyingscott

You are correct... I should have stated Less in More.

Less in less is much more desirable. :)

11. rdstoll macrumors 6502

I am also a former Verizon customer and knew I was in trouble when my first two calls on the iPhone got dropped by AT&T. I'm in Chicago and they are clearly an inferior network to Verizon. Yet they keep putting out those stupid commercials saying "more bars in more places". Where, exactly?

12. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

You're making the assumption that every cellphone is exactly the same. They're not. If your phone can't keep a good signal, the best network in the world won't work.

If you have a Yugo on on a highway, you still can't go 120 mph.