AT&T limited data plans: overage or shutoff?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brianus, Jun 16, 2010.

1. brianus macrumors 6502

I've heard that the iPad limited data plans have the option of automatically shutting off your service once you reach your MB limit -- do the new limited iPhone plans have the same option? While I'm upgrading to iPhone 4 and grandfathering in my old iPhone unlimited plan, I was thinking of setting up a separate line for my old iPhone 2G for my girlfriend with the 200MB data plan. I'm really concerned about data usage though -- I do *not* want any overage charges. So is there an automatic shutoff option?

(and please, no lectures about how most people don't use 200MB a month. Though she knows not to use much, the less computer savvy among us can sometimes rack up charges without realizing or intending it, and in any event, I won't have control over the usage in this case. I need to ensure data charges will not be an issue, not just hope)

2. Pheelyx macrumors regular

Pheelyx

I doubt it automatically shuts off. From what I've read, we are supposed to get a text when we start getting close to our limit. Now that there is a button to shut off cellular data in iOS4, I assume we will just have to turn it off ourselves.

3. Centient macrumors 6502

I asked an associate at an AT&T store yesterday about this and he said there was no shut off that he was aware of. Only the warning messages prior to exceeding the data limit. After that they auto charge for another 200 mb.

Should say that the guy I was dealing with was pretty "green". Take what I'm relaying with a grain of salt.

4. brianus thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys. Unfortunately the original iPhone won't run iOS 4, so won't be a separate data shutoff button. But at least there's a text notification involved, that's something...

5. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Or another 1 gig, depends on the plan you choose (Assuming you don't have the unlimited plan)

6. s0vereignT macrumors member

Data Plus is $15 for an additional 200MB when you go over. Data Pro is $10 for an additional 1GB when you go over.

I think the text message is your only warning, so you have to be self policing. Remember AT&T would love it if you went over and they got to charge you another $15, so they're not going to let you get shut off.

7. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

Yeah, there is no shutoff, but curiously if you have a child on the plan and want to setup extra protections (limited contact list, etc) for $4.99 a month, you can also set a limited amount of data for that child - so they DO have the capability.

My plan is to just install the AT&T app and do a quick daily check. I'll start with the 200MB plan and if I hit it like 10 days into the month, I'll upgrade.

8. viggen61 macrumors 6502

Do a search here. Plenty of threads with links to AT&Ts policies.

Basically, you'll get THREE (free) texts, at 65%, 90% & 100%, then they add another block.

Here's the lowdown.

:apple::apple: