AT&T losing LTE during a call

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jandre, Sep 27, 2012.

1. jandre macrumors newbie

I have the new iPhone 5 and I am losing LTE during calls. In fact, I lose data altogether. It says "Cellular Data Network Not Available" I know this is not supposed to work on Verizon due to the CDMA vs LTE antenna limitations, but I thought AT&T was supposed to support simultaneous voice and data. Anyone else having this issue?

2. jandre, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

jandre thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks but if you read my entire post, I am losing data altogether, not getting downgraded to 4g.

And getting downgraded to 4g while on a call is not acceptable either. What if I am in a webex and dial in for audio both from my iPhone? I have tried webex over 4g and it is so laggy I gave up. If being downgraded to 4g during a call is the answer i am going to be returning the phone. This is false advertising and it was one of the primary reasons I upgraded.

Does it say somewhere that LTE and voice are not possible at the same time? Can someone in a good LTE coverage area give it a try and see if they get LTE and voice at the same time?

3. jandre thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, AT&T says I should be able to "Talk and Surf" -

Form here

http://www.att.com/network/ - Clicking on the Talk and Surf tab says...

-------------------------

"With 4G speeds from AT&T, you can enjoy an even faster experience on the network that already gives you the power to surf the Web while talking on the phone.

Think of the possibilities
    Talk up your latest vacation with friends while sending photos. Download and view attachments during a conference call. Get directions and make a dinner reservation. Gently remind your friend about his sharp eye for fashion. All without ever having to hang up. "
    ------------------------

And if I go to the 4g Devices tab right next to the Talk and Surf tab, there a bunch of LTE devices listed there (in fact all of the depicted devices are 4G LTE) plus a link to see all available 4g devices of which the iPhone 5 is listed as the very first option.

So from all of this, I think it is pretty reasonable to expect to Talk and Surf over LTE at the same time. If this is not the case, someone needs to start a class action cause this sure looks like false advertising to me.

Hopefully, this is a case of something wrong with my set up. I'll be paying a visit to AT&T in the morning and will post my findings.