AT&T LTE not holding signal, defaults to H+

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dictoresno, Sep 26, 2012.

1. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Just got the iPhone 5, coming from an iPhone 4. I seem to be having horrible network issues. First off, I got the phone directly from apple the other day, then restored from backup through iCloud. I was able to connect to LTE for a few minutes, but then it dropped down to 4G and stayed there. If i shut LTE of and then on, it will resort back to LTE for about 5 mins, then go back to 4G. I am only getting 2 bars of LTE but full signal on 4G. When I do speed tests, Im getting like 1-2 Mbps down and like .80 up on H+ (4G), and when on LTE I will get maybe 10 Mbps down and 1 or so up. This has never been like this before. I am on a fringe LTE/H+ area however, zip code 07081. So you can see if you look at the at&t coverage viewer what I mean. Thinking maybe the restore from icloud was the issue, I did a full reset, as new. I downloaded the speedtest app, and I still getting the same speeds. However, I was able to hold an LTE signal for almost 15 minutes before it reverted back to H+. A buddy of mine, living a half hour away, shows his network speed tests on his 4S to be on par (6 down/1 up). My questions are as follows....

Does the iPhone 5 tend to favor a strong (5 bar) H+/4G network, as opposed to a weaker (1-2 bar) LTE network in order to conserve battery life? This would explain why its jumping from LTE and refusing to stay connected to it.

Is there a network issue with at&t I should be aware of in the NJ area? These data speeds are pretty slow recently and are making me wonder if its the iPhone 5, or the network itself.

For what its worth, my wifi data speeds are MUCH faster than before. Im able to get 29 down/39 up on my supposedly 25/25 Verizon FiOS home wifi. But these cell network data speeds and the trouble staying on the (only) 10Mbps LTE network are worrying me. Anyone else having these issues?

2. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

someone has to know, does the phone default to the better reception network even though LTE is available. i cant get the phone to stay on LTE.

3. oplix Suspended

oplix

I'm having somewhat similar issues coming out of airplane mode. Sometimes it wont connect to LTE until I toggle it. Sometimes like you, it will switch to HSPA+ and will not switch back to LTE until I toggle it.

4. Vengeful macrumors member

Vengeful

Having same issue on verizon :( I get 2 bars of lte most of the time, then it begins to cycle through 3G and O.

5. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno