AT&T Messages: Messed up or am I missing something?

sevenseconds

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2013
Just got an AW4 with cellular from AT&T. Has not been sending messages when I ask it to. Just found this from AT&T's site:

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1159378?gsi=zSszmE0

Messaging experience when syncing with iPhone
For the best possible experience while using the NumberSync for wearables service, you’ll need to turn off iMessage® in order to receive synced text messages on the smartwatch. From your iPhone®:
  1. Go to Settings > Messages > iMessage and select OFF.
  2. When not utilizing NumberSync for wearables turn iMessage back on.

With iMessage off:
  • Incoming SMS/MMS messages will be delivered to your smartphone and smartwatch.
  • You can send and receive messages with your smartphone number from your smartwatch.
  • Outgoing messages will not be synced between the smartphone and smartwatch.
  • Incoming message status (e.g. read/unread) will not be synced between devices.
  • Messages deleted from the smartwatch will not delete from the smartwatch.
  • Messages deleted from the smartphone will not delete from the smartwatch.
  • Message notifications will be delivered to the smartphone and smartwatch.

With iMessage on:
  • You can send SMS text messages with your smartphone number from your smartwatch.
  • Incoming iMessage texts will be delivered to your smartphone, but not to your smartwatch, even when within close proximity with a Bluetooth connection.
  • Message threads/history/read/unread/delete status will not mirror each other between your smartphone and smartwatch.
  • Notifications will not be delivered to the smartwatch.
So am I reading this correct that this is a totally insane implementation of AW and iMessage? Like we FINALLY just got iCloud Message syncing in place and now if you buy a top of the line AW, your messages won't sync?? If so, does every other carrier give the same experience?

ProphetX

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2011
Looks li
Just got an AW4 with cellular from AT&T. Has not been sending messages when I ask it to. Just found this from AT&T's site:

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1159378?gsi=zSszmE0

So am I reading this correct that this is a totally insane implementation of AW and iMessage? Like we FINALLY just got iCloud Message syncing in place and now if you buy a top of the line AW, your messages won't sync?? If so, does every other carrier give the same experience?
Looks like this only applies if youre going to use this ‘number sync’ feature from att

sevenseconds

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2013
Looks li

Looks like this only applies if youre going to use this ‘number sync’ feature from att
In other words, if you’re using the same number for your AW as you do your phone? (Isn’t this what most people do?)

ProphetX

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2011
In other words, if you’re using the same number for your AW as you do your phone? (Isn’t this what most people do?)
Not everyone. The “Number Sync” in question is an att branded product/app. Its not necessary. Ios already handles this process and this feature is targeted toward “other” watches.

sevenseconds

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2013
Not everyone. The “Number Sync” in question is an att branded product/app. Its not necessary. Ios already handles this process and this feature is targeted toward “other” watches.
Oh! So if I want to share the same number between Watch and IPhone, what is the best way to do this? I obviously don’t care about using att stuff...

Teride

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2015
I am interested in this also. I was with the understanding that you had to use Numbersync for AW.

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012
I have At&t and have iMessage on and it works like it should, everything in sync and I can send and receive messages from the phone or watch.

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Oh! So if I want to share the same number between Watch and IPhone, what is the best way to do this? I obviously don’t care about using att stuff...
If you are an AT&T customer you will need to configure and use NumberSync as part of the setup of LTE service. For Tmobile, you have to use their Digits offering, and for Verizon you will need to use their NumberShare offering to allow you watch to "appear" to use your iPhone's phone number and manage SMS/MMS Txts.

Note: On each carrier, a physical, unique phone number is assigned to the LTE watch. The carrier's back-end systems manage the routing of phone calls to the active device and also manages the SMS/MMS Txt messages. This type of additional complexity is part of the reason that the number of Carriers support the LTE watch.

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.