At&t messed up with my upgrades I can have Android

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Howdr, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Howdr macrumors regular

Howdr

At&t messed up with my upgrades, I had one available but now they made it 21 months instead of the 12 months upgrade option I had.

I then discussed this with the office of the President of At&t and they told me I could have a discounted Android phone now or wait till late 2011 for an upgrade to Iphone 4, we have a 3g ( the one we need to upgrade) and a 3gs along with 2 other lines ( 4 in total) We spend over 200 USD a month on service.

I was told we do not spend enough money and that Apple is the reason we cannot upgrade!

So we can switch to Android and ditch Iphone or have crappy service with the old 3g.

Can Apple help us? I do not believe At&t, we have been customers of theirs since 2008.

Apple is the reason we can have a Android but not an Iphone?

2. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

I think the problem is with AT&T. Apple would love to have your money.

3. Howdr thread starter macrumors regular

Howdr

At least your response was better then at Apple support pages:

From some one with over 1000 posts.

I think owning 2 Iphones and using them makes me an Apple user! And a support forum on Apples own site is a part of APple is it not? :rolleyes:

The office of the president of At&t told me on the phone that Apple was to blame for not allowing the upgrade, what offended me was I could have a free Android.

This is just not right.

4. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

And I thought some of the users here were pompous and rude. Note-to-self... don't visit the support pages.

I think you need to try some other branch of AT&T customer service. Apple really has no say in when you can upgrade-either way they get paid through off-contract purchases or subsidies from the carrier. I think AT&T is lying to you so you don't put up a fight- try calling again and call them out. Threatening to leave seems to work as well.

5. aneftp macrumors 68040

OP, you need to understand the upgrade policies of ATT. It DOES NOT MATTER WHAT YOUR TOTAL Bill EACH MONTH IS. What does matter is what each individual phone line generates each month.

In the case of 99.9% of family lines, only the primary line will get to qualify for upgrades ever 12-18 month because that primary line generates the most money.

There are thousands of posts about ATT's upgrade policies.

What is your family talk plan? If you tell me what your exact family talk plan is, it's much easier to give you a direct answer. In general if the primary line generates 99 dollars each month (voice plus data..TEXT is not included in the equation), than that line gets 12 month upgrades. The other lines get 18-21 month cycles.

Of course, ATT throws a loophole once in a while for iphone users. In the case of the iPhone 4, ATT allowed users who would have been eligible for upgrades up to Dec 31st 2010 to move up their upgrades by 6 months. But if you were eligible say June 2011, no way is ATT letting you move up 6 months for a full subsidy iphone upgrade.

ATT has "exception upgrades" for customers not fully eligible for full subsidy upgrades. But the best they can probably do for an iphone upgrade is $399/499 for the line in question. But it depends on the line in question and the time from last upgrade and if you've used this "exception" before.

As for upgrades for Android phones vs. iPhone. The reason ATT can give you a better discount for Android phones is very simple: Apple charges ATT pretty close to full retail $599/699 price for each phone ATT buys from them. But other manufactures for Android phones actually discount ATT more than the "retail" price.

6. Howdr thread starter macrumors regular

Howdr

Yeah, She explained this to me....... But understand

My wife's line is primary
    never had a contracted Iphone on it
    Put my old 3g on her line to try it
    then boom its not eligible for a discounted Iphone for 24months now!!!!

This is not right

My daughter's line was eligible for an Upgrade in Feb 2011
    it was changed to Aug 2011 ( months later)

No Iphone ever
    Cannot change that per At&t, can't change it back

that is the mess, no matter what, At&t tells me they can't help me
    Its Apple's fault because the Iphone contract with them.

I would think the President of At&t can do what they want regardless of these "rules"

Is this true?

I agree I doubt it but thats the story from Friday...........................

7. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

When you put your 3G on your wife's line, and SIGNED the new CONTRACT, did you not read it?

8. aneftp macrumors 68040

OP

Still not getting the entire picture.

When did your wife use her last fully subsidy (regardless Of phone)

Putting an iPhone 3G into any phone doesn't not reset the eligible date.

So when did the primary last use an upgrade?

9. Howdr, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011

Howdr thread starter macrumors regular

Howdr

What Contract on her line? I put a Sim Chip in the phone and turn it on, she had a Samsung Soltice before

You do understand that 3g has not been sold for over 8 months now right?

Since the At&t system knows its an Iphone it does change her account into an Iphone Account ( there's way more control then people thought) The Assistant to the Pres of At&t told me the system knows she is using an Iphone

Understand
    Its my 3g
    I upgraded to 3gs

My wife nor no one else out of the 3 other phones have contracted with an Iphone with At&t only me.

My wife is using an old 3g from me now

Her account is locked out of an Iphone upgrade because of it. ( It was explained to me she is a new Iphone user as of Dec 2010 now)

Mine is too

I have two other lines that can get upgrades but not at the reduced cost yet one of them could just 3 weeks ago, it can't now.

For this problem the solution was to offer me any other phone but an Iphone for upgrade by At&t for free.

That means an ANdroid phone would be free................. not the solution.

10. aneftp macrumors 68040

OP.

If thats the story about any free android.

Just tell them to preorder you the new Motorola atrix 4G

Have them note it one your account.

U will get top dollar for that android phone when it's released very soon.

Use the profits and just buy the iPhone 4 at full price. That's goIng to be the best solution.

11. Howdr thread starter macrumors regular

Howdr

Yeah true.............:cool:

12. zenio macrumors 6502

What you are experiencing is the sheer greed of Apple. They charge full price in a market where discounts are the norm. Apple and their disciples take great pride in boasting about the companies profits. Usually the consumer enjoys a discount, but not in AppleLand. It's all about the privilege of paying high prices which earns you a spot in this "club". When identified for what it is, Apple Tax, the followers launch angry attacks. It is what it is. Nothing more than profit taking & arrogance. No big deal really, it's been this way for years.

13. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

When did your wife get the samsung? And at what price?

14. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

The Samsung Solstice is a different class of phone. It is not a smartphone and has an optional data plan as opposed to the necessary data plan required by the iPhone. AT&T can track these changes trough the phones IMEI or even if you went to a retail location and had the changes made to your plan for iPhone data compared to the Samsung Solstice which, essentially, is a feature phone.

15. Squid7085, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011

Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

Part of Apples contract with AT&T has very strict rules on upgrades. Multiple times i have been offered early upgrades on any phone BUT the iPhone. I think a lot of it has to do wi how much larger the subsidy is for an iPhone compared to others, however, the reps are correct, there are no exceptions, no matter how great of an AT&T and Apple consumer you are.

Really, it's just Apple? No, that's just smart business practices, if you can sell a product at full price and you can't keep them on the shelf, why lower the price or discount it? Discounts are designed to get people to buy s product. Look the Wii, it stayed at a ridiculous price for years because people were still buying them. Apple has never been know to give discounts because they dont need to. Heavy discounts on something shows that it isnt selling well and there is a huge backlogged inventory.

16. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

That is correct! As soon as the OP swapped sims, a new upgrade, contract/plan was generated. This has been discussed on this and many other forums, and a quick search or a simple five minute call to AT&T would, have revealed what would happen.

17. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

But that's not what should have happened, sure his plan should've automatically changed to an iPhone plan, but his contract shouldn't have been extended nor should his upgrade been gone. Unless he got the samsung at discount he should be available for upgrade depending on when he last used his upgrade.

18. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

SIM swapping should not cause a new contract to be signed. I swap my SIM all the time and still retain my upgrade (6/19/2011).

19. iserian macrumors 6502

Free Android is like saying a free "COLA" - if they are offering you a new TOP Andriod like the X - then I'd say AT&T is providing superior CS.

20. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Do you swap from a phone that isn't a smart-phone to an iPhone?

21. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Yeah my free nokia 2210... Ironically Internet didn't work on that device until I upgraded to the 3GS (from original iPhone). Now with the iPhone 4 I had to use a SIM adapter, other than that no changes to my eligibility date.