AT&T might be charging me for tethering on my next bill

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hierobryan, Jun 28, 2009.

1. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

I just checked my AT&T account online. Normally under the "data" link it says I have unlimited data, but now it says nothing about me having unlimited data, instead it says:
    U1536: Due to the recent change to your data feature, we are unable to display usage information until after your next billing cycle which begins on 07/17/2009.
    Anyone know what this means?

2. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

Standard message ...

Whenever you change anything related to the data side, "stupid" AT&T takes a whole month to figure it out!!! I upgraded from a 2G iPhone to a 3GS ... as such, I had to specifically add the 200 SMS message feature to the phone. That is a "data change" event and thus, I get that same message. So, assuming that you did an upgrade or change your messaging plan, it is the standard message from AT&T demonstrating how incredible bad their systems are that they can't handle changes.

3. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

it is ATT updating your account. It has nothing to do with your tethering and so on.

I had the same thing on my account after upgrading to the 3Gs

4. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

I'm curious how does AT&T know you are tethering? is there some way they can track that?

5. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

That is the question we are all waiting for. I figure I will wait about a month to see before I start really using it.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I get that message about 90 percent of the time when I check my account online. AT&T's craptastic tracking can't keep up with data for some reason. I'm pretty sure every other AT&T customer on here who has checked has seen the same exact message. It has squat to do with tethering.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Another "guilty consience" post at play.

8. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

As others have said, this is just a standard AT&T we-don't-know-what-the-hell-we're-doing message. Anyways, even if they did try something, just tell them they don't have a tethering plan, so how could you be tethering?

9. entity macrumors regular

I think it'd be fairly easy to tell if someones tethering an iPhone. Obviously AT&T logs site visits like any other ISP, if they see you accessing flash based websites, ports from games, P2P, etc. it's a dead giveaway.

Be careful IMO.