AT&T military discount for Iphone plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by navyhawaii, Jul 12, 2007.

1. navyhawaii macrumors newbie

I bought my Iphone after was told by two different AT&T in store representatives that my current plan with discounts would carry over for my iphone, I would just need the $20 data plan.

I asked at apple store when purchasing, which they did not know other than they were told "there would be no discounts"

Well before activation I called AT&T, the customer service rep told me yes my military discount would apply but no discount on the data plan.

Well I had been questioning in my mind about the activation saying no discounts and also the Apple store rep saying no discounts well my bill just posted today on AT&T, with no discount. So I called to inquire where they now said that there is no discount for anybody on Iphone.

2. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Is this a discount on AT&T service plans or on the phone?

3. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Another downside to carrier exclusivity. :mad: Since AT&T are the only people that have the iPhone, they can basically do anything they want, get away with it, and say "tough" to anyone who thinks otherwise.

4. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

We have the AT&T Military discount plan for the family. Unfortunately, I knew that my new iPhone was going to be excluded from the plan and that was confirmed during the activation.

5. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

I used to have an AT&T discount since I was a state employee, but I too found out during activation that I lost my discount.

6. [G5]Hydra macrumors regular

I think what probably happened is Apple and ATT agreed to no discounts of any kind with the iPhone in the beginning w/o really looking at all the discounts there are. I would hope they reinstitute the military discount as soon as possible though. Keep in mind Jobs announced that all full time Apple workers are gonna get a free 8GB iPhone with the caveat they have to wait til end of July. Does Apple offer any education discount on the iPhone even? I think as soon as the launch hysteria dies down things like discounts etc. will be reinstated.

-Jerry C.

7. voidptr macrumors regular

You might call back and try to find someone to re-apply it (or do it from the web if you can.)

Activation strips off all the discounts, but they applied my corporate discount to everything but the $20 data portion after it was activated and I re-submitted it.

8. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Seems to be a lot of sailors here...:cool:

You guys need to remember that one of the "unoffical" ways that members of the military get paid is through the amazing amount of discounts that are set up for their use.

Oh, and Steve (didn't know he made this policy personally) is giving a free iPhone to those Apple employees that make "more than a grunt on the frontlines". There's no reason Apple/AT&T couldn't give the sailor his $12.00/month off.

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Some clean up... let's keep this OT, yeah? Thanks.

10. bostonte macrumors regular

I am curious how removing discounts on voice plans got past AT&T legal. My employers large contract says employees get a discount off ANY voice plan on ANY device. Not on data.

Without a "except when we decide not to" clause, wouldn't this be against the contracts they have with large employers? And yes, I have read the actual contract my employer entered into.

I have the iphone either way, but i really dont see how they have an out on voice plan discounts based on the contract language -- but then again i am not a lawyer.

11. exNavy macrumors newbie

12. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

Well, i read this over twice before and after it received a cleansing by the mods. Gave it some thought, and I came to the conclusion that the only individual at fault here is probably whomever you spoke with that might have mislead you into thinking that you would receive a discount when switching over to the iPhone.

If AT&T and Apple's policies regarding no discounts in any shape or form are that clear then....it is what it is. They are not obligated to provide discounts and they chose to make no exceptions. Probably for the purposes of:
    1. How the public perceives the product
    2. How some consumers feelings and or attitudes toward the product or service might be affected when they see others receive special discounts that not everyone has access to.

Now if there are people (non employed by Apple or At&t) that found a way to receive discounts after activation then I certainly think this should be an issue.

13. AirmanPika macrumors 6502

AirmanPika

As of right now my military discount shows as intact. We'll see if it stays that way.

14. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

You do this online or through a call center ?

15. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

according to the AT&T rep i talked to, if the iPhone is the PRIMARY line on your account, your voice discount will be taken away. if you have any other lines on your account, make any non-iPhone line the primary line and you'll keep your service discount. that's what i did and the discount is still reflected on my account.

16. DaveGee macrumors 6502a

Interesting... Lets see what happens after the first billing cycle...

Dave

17. voidptr macrumors regular

We have a web form specific to my corporate discount.

18. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Ahh calling proved going no where. I'll have to try that when I get back into the office.

19. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

navyhawaii,

I'd like to thank you for this thread. I didn't even think about a possible military discount on cell phone services. 15% from Verizon :cool: Wish I would have known about this a while back!

20. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

I'm interested in what happens if you buy an iPhone for a non-primary line on a discounted family-talk plan. Like many here, I've heard several conflicting, albeit adamant, responses.

The att forums are particularly unhelpful with several people who have assumed the roles of AT&T reps without having any of the said credentials. They seem particularly sure of themselves, but in the end admit that they are not AT&T employees and this is just what they have come to understand. They don't seem to answer my questions either, but rather like to reiterate the line: "No discounts on iPhones". When I asked what would happen in my above situation, I was just told, "You can't have discounts on iPhone plans", and they never addressed what, if anything, would happen to the remaining discounted lines on the family plan.

It looks like we'll be waiting a month or 2 for the bills to start rolling in before we know for sure. I want to encourage people who have done this to post results once their bills arrive. A bunch of us are waiting for you guinea pigs to make sure we get what we're expecting :).

21. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

I called 1-866-907-3484 to ask about this. My familyplan receives a discount currently and I want to buy an iPhone for one of the secondary lines. The guy on the phone put me on hold for a while to read the terms and conditions, and then came back and said he was going to call the headquarter National Business Services to find out for sure. NBS division told him that activating the iPhone would put a STOP on all FAN discounts on the account, but then he proceeded to tell me that didn't seem right because all the language in the stuff he was reading referred to the iPhone line and not the Account...needless to say, they are as confused as me and I'm stuck in a holding pattern until it's confirmed that an iPhone can be purchased on a secondary familytalk plan and not affect the discounts on the rest of the familytalk lines.

22. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

Im in the same situation. I want to buy the iPhone but i am affraid it would remove the discount on my family plan. I am th secondary number but when I asked ATT they said I must ask them in store. I have been asking all around and been getting mixed responses.

23. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

24. douglw macrumors newbie

AT&T Must provide military discount

Hi folks. I am retired USAF, and currently civil service at Lackland AFB, TX. We were briefed by family services that all cell phone carriers must provide the military discount by law to military members and federal employees. If the carrier gives you a hard time, contact the family services office (or equivalent) on your base, and they should help you with that. Also try asking for the AT&T Premier office when you call AT&T. I can't find the reference to this, but don't give up!

P.S. I want an iPhone, but I'll wait till the price comes down, and second gen gets released. Enjoy yours though!

Doug

25. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

nice! yeah, don't take it lying down guys. Sounds like AT&T is required to give you your discount even on a standard $59.99 iPhone plan. If you make enough noise, hopefully Apple will get wind of this injustice and clarify for AT&T that their terms don't require abandoning a discounted plan.