AT&T - Mixing SMS and iMessages??

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Aj2488, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Aj2488, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013

Aj2488 macrumors regular

Anyone experience this problem and know how to fix it?

A friend of mine texted me this morning and the message went to both my phone and my mothers. My mother responded and the message popped up in my phone as if I had sent it. My Mother is also receiving messages my girlfriend sends only to me and she is able to respond from her phone as well (makes for some trouble).

I have checked all the phones for issues with the way the contacts are entered, and made sure the text messages are only addressed to one person. None of them are group messages.

This has been happening for the last month or so.

Any thoughts?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not AT&T's fault.
    Somehow your mothers phone is logged in to your imessage account.
    Go to her iphone, settings, messages and turn imessage to OFF so her phone doesnt receive your imessages.

3. Aj2488 thread starter macrumors regular

I believe she uses the same iTunes Store Login as me.. would that have something to do with this? What else would explain it?

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

As Applejuiced mentioned, if you guys are logged into the same iCloud account, then this will happen. You should both go to Settings, then iCloud. If the e-mail address on top is the same, this is the cause.

Then follow Applejuiced's suggestion.

5. fatire macrumors newbie

I've encountered this, can have nothing to do with iCloud. This happens with imessages when you have both iPhones under the same applieID (which you do if you're sharing iTunes accounts.)

There are ways to share iTunes items with two users but I don't know the solution well enough to write it here.

6. DefBref macrumors 6502

It is to do with icloud. Its because you haven't created seperate icloud devices for each device. So imessage on both devices is associated with the same account.

You can use the same id for purchases and seperate id for icloud. Thats the solution. Its not difficult.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4895