Carrier AT&T Mobile Insurance - Deductible Reduction

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thatoneguy82, Jul 1, 2014.

1. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

So, I got an update in the mail yesterday about my insurance with AT&T (Asurion, I believe) and it seems that they're changing some things beginning 8/1/2014. The monthly charge is still $6.99 and the current deductible for the iPhone is $199 (Tier 3). As of 8/1/2014, if you have 6 months without a claim, the deductible goes down to $149 and if you have 12 months without a claim, it goes down to $99. Same thing applies for the Tier 1&2 phones as well.

I think that's a pretty good deal. I always thought the $199 was a bit steep, but I did like the peace of mind that it covered me for loss/theft and there's a 2 claim limit every 12 months.

(As an aside, I also have AC+ - yes, I'm well aware that's a bit much but I like having the peace of mind of loss/theft insurance and the simplicity of AC+.)

2. bearda macrumors 6502

Still seems a lot more expensive than just getting AppleCare.

3. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

I use American Express that doubles the warranty, provides 90 days of theft and damage insurance, and I then bank the monthly charge and deductible and become self insured and I'm way ahead over the years of IOS device purchases.

4. aneftp macrumors 601

AppleCare doesn't cover lost/theft.

5. VersaceX macrumors newbie

Wow nice. They should actually pay me for a replacement about now. I've been insured with them for like 5 years. With 0 claims so far. :D

6. 617aircav Suspended

Does not cover theft beyond the 90 days so its not an apt comparison.

7. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

I wasn't making a comparison. I was showing an insurance alternative. By being self insured, it does cover the theft as I stated. If my iPhone isn't stolen, the money keeps growing in my savings account.

8. thatoneguy82 thread starter macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

That's what I'm saying! They should have the vanishing deductible that goes all the way down to 0 - I think some car insurance carrier has that. But yeah, a deductible of 0 would be great for like, let's say, 0 claims in 24 months?

------

As far as creating an account or some sort of something wherein you deposit a little every month, would not work for me. I just know myself and I still consider that my money and not as an "insurance" type of money.