AT&T Mobile Share Advantage Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by l3oom, Oct 11, 2016.

1. l3oom macrumors newbie

I've recently switched to the 3GB mobile share advantage, where you essentially can't go over since once you do they just limit the data.

I was thinking of switching to 1GB (much cheaper - and cheapest plan you can get), since I'm always on Wifi at work/home. I'm only on data in between the two, or when I'm out on weekends, and try to be off my phone anyways (or I get yelled out by S/O)

Anyways...

The question is once you go over and you're the allottment, and this happens:

After all your high-speed data allotments are used, all data usage is slowed to a max of 128Kbps (2G speed) for the rest of the bill cycle. You will have basic data use for viewing a web page or checking email. Audio and video streaming, picture and video messaging, as well as other usage, including sponsored data, will be impacted and may not be fully functional. See att.com/broadbandinfo for more details.

Has anyone hit this overage throttle? What can you or can you not do? Can you still receive texts with pictures and videos? The above is a little vague. Can you also still do things such as browse Facebook (maybe just slower)?

Just curious if anyone knows.

2. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

I think it makes sense.

Emails, regular web browsing (slow) and messages should still come in.
    Anything like streaming music or video will be almost impossible.
    You may be able to let them buffer but it won't be feasible.

I don't like the part where they say they will slow down sponsored data but I guess they can't turn the faucet on and off for that.

3. ovo6 macrumors 6502a

Second month using the 1gb one last month and this I went way over my limit and my speed has Not been slowed

4. l3oom thread starter macrumors newbie

Silly question, but you were 100% off WIFI and no speed slowed? The 1GB is significantly less than 3GB, and thinking of doing it. I guess I can always raise if it became a problem?

5. ovo6 macrumors 6502a

I made a thread about this yes I'm doin speedtest and still getting same speeds which is weird

6. l3oom thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting, so I guess it makes sense to do it for the savings! Can you link me to your other thread?

7. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

What do you normally use a month? If your not even close to 1GB, then yes. If you go over, it might not be worth it.

8. lastchxpter macrumors newbie

Picture/video messaging is considered texting and so that falls under the unlimited talk/text category, however it will take a little longer than usual to send. As far as what you can do with 2G speeds.... well you can do anything you could do on LTE just know it will be much slower. GPS won't be affected AS much because once it finds your route you are good to go. Facebook will load much slower, and so will websites in general.