AT&T Navigator and TomTom

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by milerich, Jun 23, 2009.

1. milerich macrumors regular

Doe anyone know if the newly announced AT&T Navigator or TomTom apps will be allowed to run in the background.

Seems to me that if not, they would be totally worthless unless you wanted to turn your phone into a dedicated GPS unit.

2. Que macrumors 6502

why? when you're driving somewhere new do you really need to have a game of sonic the hedgehog or something?

3. mdecker79 macrumors member

No but if your phone rings it will close the GPS app rendering it useless until you hang up and relaunch the GPS app.

4. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

Well.....

Some folks have this American tradition when driving of playing music. :cool:
    Was wondering about this and the price too.

If it's priced as much or near the Tom Tom hardware seems silly. And if you can only use Tom Tom, it's a no go for me.

Hope it sorts out well for most.

5. Que macrumors 6502

hmmm, seeing as though i fail to get stressed over such a pointless problem as that i hereby remove myself from the thread.

good day to you :)

6. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Actually with the AT&T app, if you receive a call, it allows you to answer the call and then automatically re-launches the nav when you hang up. I'd expect Tom^2 and Navigon to do the same.

7. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

well people concerned about music, the ipod can run in the background of apps. also new in 3.0 when you receive a call, after it ends you are put right back into the application you were in before so your gps should be uninterrupted

8. The General macrumors 601

With any 3rd party app actually. :rolleyes:

9. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

TomTom:

10. milerich thread starter macrumors regular

I am not actually stressed about it :cool:

But it would be nice to keep it running and be able to check emails or texts without having to restart the app and put the route in again. My Curve did this quite nicely with AT&T Navigator, so if I was stopped for gas or food, I could use the phones other features, and then re-open the navigator and have it be ready to hop right back on the road. Otherwise, it would make sense to have a dedicated navigator for travel.

11. williamgallas10 macrumors regular

This is the cas with some apps, not all of them.