AT&T.net email on Outlook 2011???

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by robvee1967, Oct 5, 2011.

1. robvee1967 macrumors newbie

I am having absoutely zero luck getting the correct settings to run at&t.net email for Outlook 2011. Every where I've gone for the past 2 nights keeps dancing around and giving speculation or refers me to the at&t website that does not have the correct settings.

Can anyone lend some assistance? My wife is telling me that it wont work period. I kind of find that hard to believe.

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

This is what I have for my settings under Apple Mail (Snow Leopard), it shouldn't be any different for Outlook.

Email Address: Your full email address
    User Name: Your full email address
    Password: Your Password
    Incoming Mail Server (POP): pop.att.yahoo.com
    Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): smtp.att.yahoo.com
    Port: 995 (Use SSL)
    Authentication: Password

3. robvee1967 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but that doesn't work.

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Are you getting error messages or is it just not working at all?

5. robvee1967 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm getting error message "17897",

Authentication failed because Outlook doesn't support any of the available authentication methods.

Could not retrieve mail.

Account name: "Att"

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I neglected to mention in my earlier post that the SMTP port is 465 and it also uses SSL. If you're sure that all the settings are correct it's possible that it's on AT&T's end. I've got AT&T DSL and have had considerable trouble the last couple of days sending mail using Apple Mail and from time to time it gets non-responsive with receiving mail. AT&T's email is for all intents and purposes Yahoo! mail in AT&T clothing and based on my almost 20 years of using email it seems to be the buggiest.

7. robvee1967 thread starter macrumors newbie

It must be AT&T.... I have the settings exactly as you stated. I can send from Outlook 2011, but not receive. Now I'm not sure how I had it configured last night, but I was able to receive, but not send. I tried numerous configurations, and if I had half a brain, I'd have written it down when it worked.

Thanks for all of your help.

8. MacLoverPcSlave macrumors newbie

Better Late than never...

don't know if you ever got an answer to this but you have to also select more options and then select "same as incoming server" this killed me for two days trying to figure this out because I too was suffering from Att email!

have a great day

9. gokuu macrumors member

I still have this problem if someone could help please.

That or what is a great replacement for mail apps.

My Mail app on my Imac doesnt work either and outlook 2011 just sends emails, does NOT receive them

10. bluespider macrumors 6502

bluespider

try inbound.att.net and outbound.att.net as your servers connect ssl and should work fine.