AT&T Network Improvements in NYC

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by atacinus, Jun 18, 2010.

1. atacinus macrumors 6502

I just got this e-mail from AT&T...oddly enough I used to live on sickles street and yes, the reception *was* terrible...luckily I moved :)

your network is growing

We are pleased to deliver our first 2010 edition of the AT&T Network newsletter for the New York City and New Jersey metro area. This year is well underway and we are hard at work to provide you with the best possible network experience. In 2009, we built nearly 70 new sites, and upgraded many more sites to 3G in the New York Metro area, so your wireless coverage is better than ever.

wicked fast

AT&T has the nation's
    fastest 3G network.
    That's just one of the
    reasons more people
    choose AT&T for the
    widest array of
    Smartphones—giving
    you the ability to talk and
    surf the Web or check
    email at the same time.
    New York & New Jersey Metro Updates:
    From October 2009 through March 2010, we have added and enhanced cell sites to expand coverage across Metro New York and New Jersey.

New Jersey improvement areas:

• Jersey Shore — Lavallette to Normandy Beach
    • Livingston — St. Barnabas Hospital
    • Newark — Bears Stadium
    • Teaneck — Route 4 at Queen Anne Road
    • Jersey City — 10th & Monmouth Street

New York improvement areas:

• NYC — 5th Avenue & Union Square
    • NYC — Sickles Street
    • NYC — 5th Avenue & 39th Street
    • Brentwood — Southern State Parkway
    • Croton-On-Hudson — Train station

Of the sites listed above, seven are new 3G sites which are intended to enhance your wireless experience, while providing you access to your email, music, video, pictures, downloads and more — all at lightning fast speeds.

Other key improvements:
    • We've increased capacity so that you can get to your data and downloads more easily!
    • We've optimized our network in midtown and lower Manhattan to be able to handle more overall call and data volume and decrease dropped calls.

Learn More

AT&T continues to invest in New York City
    and surrounding areas
    AT&T is committed to providing the best possible wireless service to our customers. We are very proud of our Network and the advantages it offers our customers, such as the Nation's fastest 3G service and the ability to talk & surf at the same time.

From 2007 through 2009, our total capital investment in our New York wireless and wire line networks was more than $1 billion. We're also an industry leader in Wi-Fi with the nation's largest Wi-Fi network, which complements our wired broadband and wireless 3G networks. There are currently 20,000 hotspots offering Wi-Fi connectivity across the U.S. and over 1,000 in New York, giving you access in retail stores and restaurants locally and from coast-to-coast. To see a full list of all our Wi-Fi locations, visit us at http://www.att.com/go

Our online coverage viewer tool can measure the quality of coverage based on a street address, intersection, ZIP code or even a landmark. For more information about our wireless coverage in the New York metro area, see our coverage viewer.

Thank you for continuing to be a valued customer. More network news will be headed your way in the near future

Sincerely,

Tom Devito, Vice President & General Manager

2. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Glad they're working on improving networks when places still don't even have 3G.

3. Mr Bigs macrumors 6502a

Mr Bigs

They've improved the network for sure but lets see what happens when all these iPhones get activated.;)

4. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Sure, the sticks don't have decent 3G coverage, but I'd much rather AT&T target areas where people live and have a need for it as opposed to putting up a bunch of 3G towers in rural areas and leaving NYC and SF in shambles.

5. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

It just bugs me I live in pretty much the only "major" city in Michigan to not have 3G coverage. We were promised it months ago after the Centennial merger.

6. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Which major city? Even the resort island I live on here in South Carolina has 3G coverage, and we aren't even in the Charleston city limits. They will expand to you eventually. Remember, they have to upgrade every tower physically before it works, unlike Verizon had to do.

7. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

I was in NYC 2 weeks ago and dropped almost every single call if I was on the phone long enough (5-10 minutes+). This happened in several areas of Manhattan and I had a full signal in all instances. No problems with data though.

I don't think my phone was the problem, as I don't drop calls here in CO when I have a full signal. I think the towers in NYC just get so congested that they start losing connections or something. Beats me.

I assume that all the foreign tourists (LOTS) are roaming on AT&T's towers as well since they obviously can't use CDMA networks like Verizon or Sprint. This doesn't help matters I'm sure.

Anyway, I'm glad that they're working on it, but my experience 2 weeks ago suggests that they still have a LONG way to go.

8. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Kalamazoo.

Detroit, Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids, Holland, Traverse City, Mount Pleasant, and Midland all have it. Not sure about any other cities.

9. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

How do I get on the list for this newsletter!?

Sounds great, I hope it's for real.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, this will proably make you feel even worse, but the fastest AT&T download speed I ever got was right here which is basically in the ocean.

I can never predict where it will be awesome or not.

11. bub macrumors member

I used to have excellent coverage via AT&T on my iPhone - never had a problem. Then about 4 months ago coverage dropped at my office and it's been terrible ever since. I spend hours on the phone at home but can't even make a 2 minute phone call from my office. No clue why but I hope they fix it eventually. With the exception of making phone calls from my office I've been exceptionally pleased with AT&T.

edited to add - I live and work in Manhattan. Strange that one popular area of the city gets great coverage but the other doesn't.

12. ChocolateApple macrumors 6502

ChocolateApple

I've never really had problems with AT&T/Cingular in NYC, and I've lived here for 15 years.

When I lived on the West side on a high floor, my calls started dropping very frequently only within the last year or so. But it got so bad that I got a LAN line at my new place. However, at my new place -- same area, lower floor, my calls haven't dropped, and the LAN line isn't used.

?

13. DataRiff macrumors member

DataRiff

I live in NYC as well and I have great 3G & service everywhere, EXCEPT my own apartment. If I leave it on the windowsill, it's perfect, but in the elevator or anywhere but my bedroom's windowsill it's virtually non-existent. I'm going to blame this on the thick, old walls of my building. Oddly enough though, my Blackberry gets perfect service in my apt, but NOT my iPhone :-( Maybe it's the antenna?