Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thecore762

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
Just saw this on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/ATT/comments/5x81jr/psa_new_unlimited_plans_are_not_prorated/

I strongly advise that you do not change your plan mid cycle or near end of the cycle. If you can backdate the change to the beginning of your cycle, or future date it to next cycle. If you change mid cycle you will be charged the portion of the month of the old plan, plus the full month plan of the new unlimited. The internal article states new plan is not prorated, its one tiny sentence in a huge fricken article to read. SO BE CAREFUL otherwise you may get a messed up high bill!

So I've been in the Directv previous unlimited data plan and just switched last night to it, so am I going to get double billed? I have 12 days left in this billing cycle...

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I think you are getting confused. It says "Customers receive the benefit of the entire new plan data allowance when the plan change is made, plan is not prorated". BUT it does not mention you are paying the price of both the old plan and the entire month of the new plan. They are giving you the entire month even though you switched at the middle. They will probably just backdate the charge. Remember with AT&T you pay a month in advance for service.

And just because there is a thread on Reddit doesn't make it true. Gotta read the fine print. Nothing states charges are not prorated.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
That's what happens. I went to a higher priced plan and it was backdated to pay the higher price for the current month. If you go to a lower priced plan I doubt that you will get any credit for the month.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
That's what happens. I went to a higher priced plan and it was backdated to pay the higher price for the current month. If you go to a lower priced plan I doubt that you will get any credit for the month.

No you do get credit because we get billed a month in advanced. Because of my billing month beginning yesterday I won't be able to post evidence of the backdating. The simplest thing to do is just make sure the plan is backdated to the previous starting day of your bill cycle. Or start it next month. But I have received prorated refunds for going from a more expensive to cheaper plan.

Ghostbuster386

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
Orlando, FL
You will not be able to back date this plan to a date before it was available. No receive the least amount of charges you would want the change to take effect on the first day of your new billing cycle.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I know this thread is a month old, buy my GF's family's bill just posted after changing to the new unlimited plan exactly 12 days into their new cycle. Their entire bill was pro-rated. Their bill for the month was less than what it would be going forward because they were on a more expensive plan previously.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I know this thread is a month old, buy my GF's family's bill just posted after changing to the new unlimited plan exactly 12 days into their new cycle. Their entire bill was pro-rated. Their bill for the month was less than what it would be going forward because they were on a more expensive plan previously.

Mine ended up working out the same way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.