Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appygirl82

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
Oregon
I recently signed up for the AT&T Next Program. I was on the Apple Upgrade Program before.

With the AT&T Next ( I have the one where you can upgrade every year, or once half the phone is paid), can you get AppleCare to put on that phone? Once you trade it in for an upgrade (assuming its still Apple of course) can your AppleCare transfer to that phone? Do you have to buy new AppleCare with each phone?

RyCan3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
I heard you buy apple care through apple. As for your other questions, I am not too sure.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Buy AppleCare+ from Apple, either with a phone call or drop by Apple Store.

AppleCare+ is a two year program and you buy it new for each phone.

If you have not utilized any of the two replacements in first year, you can call Apple and they will prorate refund of remaining months of Apple care. Have done this with four phones so far. Last two have been on Next program. Will do so when going from 6s Plus to 7.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I recently signed up for the AT&T Next Program. I was on the Apple Upgrade Program before.

With the AT&T Next ( I have the one where you can upgrade every year, or once half the phone is paid), can you get AppleCare to put on that phone? Once you trade it in for an upgrade (assuming its still Apple of course) can your AppleCare transfer to that phone? Do you have to buy new AppleCare with each phone?

I do not think that Applecare + can be transferred over to a device. I know it can transfer owners. So yes you will have to get a new applecare + plan for every new phone.

As above mentioned, you can contact them and to cancel the plan and they will prorate and refund you whatever you haven't used.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

Why did you switch from Apple Upgrade to Next? Apple Upgrade includes AppleCare+ and if you are upgrading every 12 months, Apple Upgrade is cheaper than Next. Under Next, yes you have to buy AppleCare new for each phone. You can technically get a pro-rated refund from AppleCare on your old phone, but you will lose a certain percentage, and that is if you don't use any of the replacements in the first year.

appygirl82

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
Oregon
Ok so here is the deal....I moved over to Android about 5 weeks ago. (I have done this many times before). I am not happy with my S7E for many reasons. Yes, I realize that I will pay out the a** to get out of it. It is what it is and i am prepared for that.

Here are my options at this point.. I can pay the payments equal to the 50% of my current Samsung in order to get the iPhone 7 when it releases. I paid off my iPhone the was on the Apple Upgrade Plan and sold it. So I could probably get back on the AUP with the new release? I don't see why not?? The only thing I don't know is if since my current S7E is still attached to my line if id be able to get my iPhone. I am not sure if ATT will allow me not to have the S7E "connected" to my line and still keep paying for it?? Either way I know I will pay to make the switch....just trying to figure out my best game plan!

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I do not think that Applecare + can be transferred over to a device. I know it can transfer owners. So yes you will have to get a new applecare + plan for every new phone.

As above mentioned, you can contact them and to cancel the plan and they will prorate and refund you whatever you haven't used.

This isn't true. You CAN transfer AppleCare+ from one device to the next. But there are stipulations such as both phones having to be within their 1 year manufacturer warranty period. Best thing to do though is to call Apple about it....they've always helped me out in the past.

Source: Apple Employee

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Why did you switch from Apple Upgrade to Next? Apple Upgrade includes AppleCare+ and if you are upgrading every 12 months, Apple Upgrade is cheaper than Next. Under Next, yes you have to buy AppleCare new for each phone. You can technically get a pro-rated refund from AppleCare on your old phone, but you will lose a certain percentage, and that is if you don't use any of the replacements in the first year.
One reason The might be the hard credit check the bank makes each year for Apple program. AT&T current customers don't take the credit number hit each year.
[doublepost=1471371930][/doublepost]
Ok so here is the deal....I moved over to Android about 5 weeks ago. (I have done this many times before). I am not happy with my S7E for many reasons. Yes, I realize that I will pay out the a** to get out of it. It is what it is and i am prepared for that.

This begs the question, why do you keep doing this?

appygirl82

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
Oregon
One reason The might be the hard credit check the bank makes each year for Apple program. AT&T current customers don't take the credit number hit each year.
[doublepost=1471371930][/doublepost]

This begs the question, why do you keep doing this?

Well in the past I have kept my Android phones for a cycle (a year) and was happy with them at the time. I upgrade yearly regardless of what phone I have. I would own the Android and then move back to iPhone when a new (and usually better) came out.

This is the first time that I have been unhappy with my phone so quick. The S7E has a lot of things that I don't like.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Apple care isn't easily transferable but you do get prorated value back. I believe it doesn't matter where you bought the Apple care. You can get that prorated value back from Apple.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Well in the past I have kept my Android phones for a cycle (a year) and was happy with them at the time. I upgrade yearly regardless of what phone I have. I would own the Android and then move back to iPhone when a new (and usually better) came out.

This is the first time that I have been unhappy with my phone so quick. The S7E has a lot of things that I don't like.
Yearly switch is not unusual. The way I read it was you had repeatedly switched and switched back in a few weeks. Thanks for the clarification. For me switching too often drives me nuts. Just as I learn how something works it changes.

appygirl82

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
Oregon
Yearly switch is not unusual. The way I read it was you had repeatedly switched and switched back in a few weeks. Thanks for the clarification. For me switching too often drives me nuts. Just as I learn how something works it changes.

Yes and this switch is going to cost me!!! I am now trying to figure out which way I want to do this (and will cost me the least)! No I cannot afford to do these quick switches often, id go broke!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.