AT&T Next and Grandfathered Plans

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hymas, Sep 10, 2014.

1. hymas macrumors member

Hey guys!

I have a question and cannot seem to find an answer. If I switch to the Next program, do I get to keep my grandfathered unlimited data plan? I went to the AT&T Next website and it doesn't say anything about our unlimited plans.

Has anyone been able to join the program and keep unlimited data?

Thank you!

2. nyfliiboy macrumors regular

Yes you get to keep it. From what I remember you choose the unlimited when you call to activate the phone. When I last did NEXT it messed up my plan and I had to call AT&T to get everything back in order.

3. akhilleus macrumors member

As far as I know, you get to keep it. I think the only way they take it away is if you switch your plan details (minutes, data, etc.) The next plan is a bit different and relates to phones specifically. I'm sure one day will come where they force these grandfathered plans into oblivion, but not yet.

4. ClemTiger0408 macrumors 6502

Don't forget adding tethering.

5. hymas thread starter macrumors member

6. efktd macrumors 6502

efktd

i read somewhere that you'll only have the option to choose a mobile-share plan, then order the phone.

when it arrives, call or take the phone into the store, and have a live person activate it, so only the phone is switched over and all the unlimited information is saved.

if you activated at home after it arrives, without talking to an at&t rep first, it will automatically cease the grandfathered plan.

i hope this is true.

7. kds786 macrumors regular

kds786

I wasn't able to keep it, but it may be because I added two other phones to the account. I had to choose a mobile-share plan, and did this in store. We went with the 10GB plan, which has been plenty.

8. hymas thread starter macrumors member

Thanks fellas. When you went to the Next program, did your prices stay the same (excluding discounts)? Like your like, text and data plans?

9. efktd macrumors 6502

efktd

I just purchased my 128GB Space Gray iPhone Plus on the Next plan, although I was able to select an unlimited data option for $30. I've been on the unlimited grandfathered plan for years, perhaps it was an option only available to those in my case?

Regardless, I'm stoked for my new phone! Shipping times are 14-21 days, already...

:apple:!