Carrier AT&T Next iPhone 7 Promotion.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by medulla, Oct 1, 2016.

1. medulla macrumors regular

Hello.
    I'll start off by saying I'm sorry if these questions have been answered before, I've got tremendous mixed replies on this from various different people, so I was hoping maybe someone here can just finally put this to rest.

When the promotion was introduced, it seemed silly not to take it. I usually get the iPhones sim-free from the Apple Store however I didn't mind being on the Next program. Now that I have this 7+, my questions are regarding the usage of the phone.

Apart from the questions that people have regarding what to do next year when the new iPhone comes out, my questions are regarding right now.

Does AT&T require you as the user who upgraded to the iPhone 7 to continue to use the phone? Can this phone be passed onto a friend thats NOT on your account? Can it be passed to a member who IS on your account all while still receiving the credits?

Also, if you happen to travel a lot, is it okay to remove the sim card and put in a different sim card or will that be a problem too?

I'd just like to know how flexible this commitment is.. I have no plans of selling it, however would like to know if my line was upgraded does that mean I ONLY have to use the phone, can someone else use the phone? Can someone else on the same account use the phone? Also, can I use the phone in a different county?

Thanks!

2. spades1412 macrumors 6502

You should receive the credits monthly as long as that line is still making the Next installment payments. Doesn't matter what you do with the phone. Once you payoff that Next installment, your credits will end, forfeiting any remaining credits. You must carry the payments through the 24 or 30 months to receive all the credits.

3. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

It is OK to remove the SIM but the iPhone will remain locked to AT&T until all of the Next payments are completed and an unlock request has been processed by AT&T. AT&T will not unlock the iPhone until that time so you will not be able to use other international or domestic carrier SIM cards in that phone.

4. medulla thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I understand that, I was planning on getting it unlocked through a third-party company.

I guess I understand, as long as the payments are being made for the phone, I am free to do whatever I'd like with the phone, use it on any line I please. The AT&T staff differ amongst themselves about this, hence thought I'd ask it here.
    Thanks!

5. Aibocyrus macrumors 6502

Aibocyrus

If you move the phone around to another account on AT&T, you break the agreement. You can't move that phone around until the payments have been completed fully. Since you went with a 7+, you're still responsible for a few bucks a month. You're only receiving $27 credits every month until the $650 has been paid off. It's stretched over 24 months. You can't even move the phone to someone who is on AT&T. That promotion is only good for monthly credits adding up to $650 after 24 installments. Only on your line. Sorry if this wasn't discussed with you, but this is the way it works. I don't believe you even have the freedom to pay it off early. You may be able to, but I would contact AT&T to find out for certain.

6. medulla thread starter macrumors regular

So can you move it to another number on your account?

Is this verified information? Since it contradicts what others have said above.

7. lovelybai macrumors member

Nobody cares where the phone is. As long as you keep the installment plan, that is enough. If ised on non-att, thirdparty unlock would be required.

8. Aibocyrus macrumors 6502

Aibocyrus

Well. I worked for AT&T for two years. just left in January. If this works like previous promotions have worked then it's not as flexible. I would call and talk to them.

9. Mxbzz macrumors 6502

As long as you don't touch the installment plan while the promotion is activated, you should be free to do whatever you want with the iPhone 7. I can't see AT&T enforcing a rule where you HAVE to use the device on the plan for 24 months-- what if you had to get it replaced at the Apple store, or it somehow broke and you had to switch to an older phone?

Of course these are all assumptions and nobody really knows until we get some real results in a few months.