AT&T Next last payment due after pre-order but before release date

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by glxyjones, Sep 11, 2015.

1. glxyjones macrumors regular

glxyjones

My wife and I have 2 iPhones on the AT&T Next 12 plan. When I check our eligibility, it says we have 1 more payment left on Sept 22nd. My question is, does anyone know if I will be able to pre-order the iPhone tomorrow without issue since we will be making our final payment before the Sept 25th release date?

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

If you have the funds, just make the payment today. Otherwise, you can pre-order from AT&T and it'll give you the option to pay the 1 payment when ordering. Pre-ordering from Apple won't work I don't think, unless that 1 payment is made.

I paid ahead just to make sure I can pre-order from Apple, as I have a better chance of getting a phone quicker from them.

3. glxyjones thread starter macrumors regular

glxyjones

I have no problem doing this but I don't want to be charged on Sept 22 with my usual payment. In that scenario I would make 13 payment when I should only make 12.

4. smarcotte macrumors member

I just went through this with AT&T. There is no mechanism to just pay the outstanding installment payment, not balance, to become upgrade eligible. You would have to pay the entire amount of the outstanding balance of the installment plan off to be upgrade eligible. Specifically, if you paid 11 payments and need 12 to be upgrade eligible, you can't do it until your bill cycle's around again. What I ended up doing is paying off the balance, selling my phone on iCracked which offered more than Gazelle for my 6 Plus and making $25 in the transaction. Not much but not a negative figure.

5. bmwrin1990 macrumors newbie

Yeah, that's not true. I called them yesterday and made the last installment payment. I didn't have to pay off the whole balance.

6. bmwrin1990 macrumors newbie

Just call AT&T and tell them what you're trying to do. You can make the last installment payment over the phone with them. I just did it yesterday and I now show as eligible to trade in.

7. Decimotox macrumors 6502a

False.

OP, go on your account online. Click on the upgrade function for the line you're upgrading. Then, you'll see two amounts listed - one is what's remaining to become eligible for trade-in upgrade, the other is to pay off the entire remaining balance of the current phone. If you want to trade-in, simply choose that option and go through the process of selecting a new phone to "upgrade" to (don't worry, you're not actually upgrading).

Once you've chosen a new "phone", you'll come to a screen where you have to pay the remaining installment in a separate transaction with your credit card. Pay that amount and then immediately cancel the rest of the "upgrade".

You are now eligible for upgrade/pre-order. :)

8. glxyjones thread starter macrumors regular

glxyjones

Again, I'm aware that I can make the payment now and be upgrade eligible. However, I still don't know if I make the payment today, whether they will charge me another installment payment on the 22nd. So if I make my 12th payment today, will I be charge a 13th payment on the 22nd (the original due date) OR will my 22nd payment have my 12th payment already deducted?

9. drober30 macrumors 6502a

I did the same thing. My account now shows I'm good to upgrade.

10. drober30 macrumors 6502a

They will only bill you every month on your billing date. If you pay early you will not be billed again until next moth and you will have already processed an upgrade with the pre-order and have your new phone on the 25th.

11. Decimotox macrumors 6502a

Nope, you won't have to pay the 13th installment. Your 12th payment will already have been deducted.

12. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Just pay your monthly bill today and not wait till 9/22. By bill was due 9/22, I paid it 9/9 and now am eligible to upgrade.

13. duaneu macrumors 6502a

They won't. You can look at the details of your installment plan online. You'll see that each installment is scheduled for a specific month.

14. glxyjones thread starter macrumors regular

glxyjones

Thanks all. These are the confirmations I needed.