AT&T Next Or Another 2 year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacGurl111, Sep 20, 2014.

1. MacGurl111, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014

MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

I called AT&T, asking them about my plans, if I'm eligible for an upgrade, etc.
    Looks like I am eligible for the 2 year contract upgrade, however, they said if I go pick up the iPhone plus, pay for the upgrade (299.99), there will be an extra 25.00 charge monthly because of the data plan I have. After calculation, I will end up paying a little more for the plan and phone total.
    With the NEXT program, they said I will get an additional 10.00 discount for the plan I have. This is all so confusing. Anyone decided to the NEXT program and not regret it?
    We have the 10GB mobile share and it is plenty for us! Any suggestions or advice?

2. antipex macrumors member

antipex

With all the trade-in options, you're better off financially signing a new 2-year contract each year and trading in your old phone to pay for the difference. I'm halfway through my contract this year - my 64GB iPhone 6 cost me $549 with a new 2-year contract, and I'm getting ~$300 selling my 5s, so it actually ends up cheaper for me. With Next, you're paying AT&T several hundred dollars extra over the course of a year.

3. BrettDS macrumors 65816

The next program is a terrible deal of you plan to trade in your phone and upgrade after 12 or 18 months. You'd be better off buying the phone outright and selling it after a year or 18 months. However, the next program is a good way to finance the phone at 0% interest. And you can pay it off at any time. So I would recommend the next program as long as you don't plan to trade the phone in to ATT

4. MacGurl111 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

That's the thing, I upgrade my phone almost every year. The other line is about every other year.
    With the NEXT I'm paying full price but not under any contract, and I get additional discount on my plan. I dread paying a higher bill.
    Like most of you, I'd rather pray 300.00 up front and be done. Not a 150.00 bill for 20 months!

5. pdxmatts macrumors 68000

pdxmatts

This has been discussed to death in length on many threads. You should go read up on them. You have to do the math to find out what is best for you. You can use ATT calculator here http://attcalc.com/next/

6. MacGurl111 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

Thanks for the calculator. I'll do a search. :eek:

7. pdxmatts macrumors 68000

pdxmatts

Just remember that you lose your value plan pricing if you sign up for a new contract, but, you also have to add your monthly phone pyt on NEXT to your current bill. So, is it cheaper to pay $40 a line and be on contract and pay the down payment? Or is it cheaper to pay $15 a line plus the monthly amt for the phone with no down payment, no contract and upgradable after 12 or 18 mo's?

8. ssl0408 macrumors 65816

I'm in a similar situation. I'm on the 10GB plan with two lines and now I want to upgrade. I know that NEXT will save us about $110 (we get the upgrade fee waived). So if I do NEXT 18 the bill goes up by $31.25 for the iPhone 64GB and with the contract it goes up by $25. I know it should be a no-brainer but I can't decide which one to do.

9. MacGurl111 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

I'm still doing research too. :eek: My brain is about to be fried. I want to make sure I make a choice I can stick with. I don't mind having this phone for 1-2 years.

However, it seems like a cycle. You pay for the phone and if you want to upgrade, you trade it in and pay for that phone.. on and on it goes.

Like the PP said, if we decide to keep our phone for 2 years, it might not be too bad because it will be our phone to keep. However, should we resell it on eBay or craigslist, we won't get the full price for it but the discounts in the plans makes up for that. Decisions, decisions!

10. whirldy macrumors regular

whirldy