Carrier AT&T NEXT Program - Can One renew/refresh in Apple Store?

Clix Pix

macrumors demi-goddess
Original poster
I seem to remember that last year that if someone was already in the NEXT program that it was not possible to trade in the old phone and get a new one and more-or-less renew/refresh the NEXT program which was already in effect......? It was not a problem to go to the Apple store and start a brand-new NEXT program with the new phone that was being purchased there, but a customer with an existing NEXT program could not do anything at the Apple store. I haven't seen any comments about that on here this year and am wondering if things have changed?

Nibiruthehufky

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2017
I seem to remember that last year that if someone was already in the NEXT program that it was not possible to trade in the old phone and get a new one and more-or-less renew/refresh the NEXT program which was already in effect......? It was not a problem to go to the Apple store and start a brand-new NEXT program with the new phone that was being purchased there, but a customer with an existing NEXT program could not do anything at the Apple store. I haven't seen any comments about that on here this year and am wondering if things have changed?
Yeah you can use the app to upgrade using the att next. I did it last year and this year preordering the iPhone X also got 11/3 delivery.

Clix Pix

macrumors demi-goddess
Original poster
Thanks! For some reason things were a bit confusing last year regarding whether or not one could do it through the Apple store or if a customer with an existing NEXT program had to go back to AT&T to a store in person or use their site. In the end, I was able to get my desired Jet Black 7 Plus several months in person later at the Apple store because I wanted to keep my options open as to where I could grab one first, so had already paid off my 6s Plus in the interim and so then was starting a new NEXT program.

Nibiruthehufky

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2017
Thanks! For some reason things were a bit confusing last year regarding whether or not one could do it through the Apple store or if a customer with an existing NEXT program had to go back to AT&T to a store in person or use their site. In the end, I was able to get my desired Jet Black 7 Plus several months later at the Apple store because I wanted to keep my options open as to where I could grab one first, so had already paid off my 6s Plus and so then was starting a new NEXT program.
Yeah that seems like you just did more unnecessary work to upgrade. All I did last year was pay my upgrade fee before the preorder date for the iPhone 7. Thankfully this year went flawless on my end.

Clix Pix

macrumors demi-goddess
Original poster
Good to know! I am not going to do anything until I have a chance to pop into the Apple store some time this next week and hold the new iPhone X in my hands and play with it a bit, compare the colors, mull things over and then make a decision about whether or not to replace my beautiful Jet Black iPhone 7 Plus with one...... Good to know that when I do decide and when I do eventually find what I want available at either the Apple store or the AT&T store, that it won't be a hassle making the upgrade.

Reactions: Nibiruthehufky