Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Original poster
I seem to remember that last year that if someone was already in the NEXT program that it was not possible to trade in the old phone and get a new one and more-or-less renew/refresh the NEXT program which was already in effect......? It was not a problem to go to the Apple store and start a brand-new NEXT program with the new phone that was being purchased there, but a customer with an existing NEXT program could not do anything at the Apple store. I haven't seen any comments about that on here this year and am wondering if things have changed?

Nibiruthehufky

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2017
I seem to remember that last year that if someone was already in the NEXT program that it was not possible to trade in the old phone and get a new one and more-or-less renew/refresh the NEXT program which was already in effect......? It was not a problem to go to the Apple store and start a brand-new NEXT program with the new phone that was being purchased there, but a customer with an existing NEXT program could not do anything at the Apple store. I haven't seen any comments about that on here this year and am wondering if things have changed?

Yeah you can use the app to upgrade using the att next. I did it last year and this year preordering the iPhone X also got 11/3 delivery.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Original poster
Thanks! For some reason things were a bit confusing last year regarding whether or not one could do it through the Apple store or if a customer with an existing NEXT program had to go back to AT&T to a store in person or use their site. In the end, I was able to get my desired Jet Black 7 Plus several months in person later at the Apple store because I wanted to keep my options open as to where I could grab one first, so had already paid off my 6s Plus in the interim and so then was starting a new NEXT program.

Nibiruthehufky

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2017
Thanks! For some reason things were a bit confusing last year regarding whether or not one could do it through the Apple store or if a customer with an existing NEXT program had to go back to AT&T to a store in person or use their site. In the end, I was able to get my desired Jet Black 7 Plus several months later at the Apple store because I wanted to keep my options open as to where I could grab one first, so had already paid off my 6s Plus and so then was starting a new NEXT program.
Yeah that seems like you just did more unnecessary work to upgrade. All I did last year was pay my upgrade fee before the preorder date for the iPhone 7. Thankfully this year went flawless on my end.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Original poster
Good to know! I am not going to do anything until I have a chance to pop into the Apple store some time this next week and hold the new iPhone X in my hands and play with it a bit, compare the colors, mull things over and then make a decision about whether or not to replace my beautiful Jet Black iPhone 7 Plus with one...... Good to know that when I do decide and when I do eventually find what I want available at either the Apple store or the AT&T store, that it won't be a hassle making the upgrade.

Reactions: Nibiruthehufky
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.