Carrier AT&T Next Question - Switching lines

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Travisimo, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I ordered a iPhone 6 Plus last night on my wife's line using the Next 12 option. I did not have an upgrade available on my line, and she is fine with her current iPhone 5S.

Question: When the phone arrives, can I simply pay off the Next and then switch the phone to my line? Or is tied to her line even if I pay it off? I was hoping I could just take it to the AT&T store down the street next Friday, pay off the balance, and then activate it on my line instead.

I'm guessing I'll probably have to activate it on her line first, then pay it off, then switch it to my line, then put her old phone back on her line. Does that sound correct?

2. mguti macrumors member

I did the same thing. I order the phone on my dads next and will be switching to my line when and if I do indeed get the phone on 9/19. I called AT&T and was told to just call and they would be able to do the switch. Im gonna pay monthly on the NEXT program, but I was told it wasnt a problem.

3. Travisimo thread starter macrumors 6502a

So you're saying even if you don't pay off the balance, you can still switch it to another line that is on contract? That would be great! With the iPhone 6 Plus 64gb model I chose, I think my Next 12 payments are going to be around $42/mo which equates to a little over $500 after 1 year. At that time, I can either pay off the balance or upgrade to a new phone and keep paying the payments, right?

4. mguti macrumors member

That is my understanding on switching phone lines. Just pay the normal monthly payment or you could pay off. If you did NEXT 12, you have a total of 20 payments to pay off the phone. After you make 12 payments and you decide to trade in your iPhone for the newest one, AT&T will waive the remaining 8 payments (12payments + 8payments = 20payments)and you TRADE in the phone you will be able to start a NEW next plan on the new phone.

5. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

A few things. First, I'm not sure if you can pay off the Next option right away. I read somewhere that you have to wait 2 months before doing that.

Second, if you are not on the mobile family share plan, you will lose the plan discount on this upgrade so expect to be giving AT&T an extra $25 (or something like that) a month.

AT&T does not want to subsidies phones anymore so they are trying to push everyone to Next and mobile share plans.

6. Travisimo thread starter macrumors 6502a

We are on the Mobile Share plan with 4 lines. 3 of them are not on contract, so we only pay $15/mo for those lines. My line is on contract, so I pay $40/mo for that line. When I get the new iPhone and switch it to my line, my contract shouldn't change but my wife's line would have the Next payment plan but still only have the $15/mo line charge. Am I understanding that correctly?

7. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Ah, I see, OK. You might be right. When you switch the phone to your line, nothing should change BUT, if I were you I would call AT&T to make sure. Once you move the new phone to your line, it might kick you to a new 2 year contract which will keep you from getting a monthly discount.